Law School Discussion

What was the BEST LSAT ADVICE you ever had?

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: What was the BEST LSAT ADVICE you ever had?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2006, 05:31:21 AM »
Not the best advice, but the most interesting. Listen to Classical music. Apparently it gets those left brain logical areas all quivering and excited, allowing better performance on, say, tests of logical reasoning.

And I am purposefully using a capital "C" when I write Classical. Based on my understanding of Classical music of the late 18th Century from a long ago class on Masterworks of Classical Music, the very ordered and, dare I say it, logical nature of the Classical era, and probably the late Baroque, would be a better choice than 19th Century Romantic-era or Modern music. (hint: there are logical patterns in the form of the music. You can even spot musical versions of contapositives, if you are so inclined, and God I hope you aren't because that's kinda sick...)

This last convoluted paragraph translates to:

Best: Mozart; Beethoven; Hayden; Bach, esp. the fugues
Good:  Pachelbel; Vivaldi; Handel; Purcell
Not quite as good: Schubert; Strauss; Liszt; Bizet; Chopin; Rachmaninov
Not so good: Copeland, Britten; Schoenberg; Glass; Gershwin
BAD but we're still gonna listen to it: jazz, pop, rock, and other "free form" types of music

Playing on iTunes right now: Mozart's Requiem Mass.

the original dunson

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2006, 07:27:34 AM »
One other piece of advice, that I somewhat ignored, and wished I hadn't -- practice your cursive if you don't normally write in it!  That stupid paragraph took me way too long to write out, and my hand was crampy for the whole first section, making bubbling harder than usual.

You've got to be kidding me. You can't print on the writing sample? And what if you do? It's not like it is scored, or like the law schools are going to say "oh no he didn't cursive write!"

I didn't write in cursive.

@#!* you man.  I was told we had to.  I spent 15 minutes and my hand cramped trying to write that stupid passage.  But this wasn't the writing sample, but the freaking I won't cheat passage.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2006, 09:16:02 AM »
Don't look at time while going through the sections.

At this point in the game (less than 3 weeks b4 lsat) I find that I do better if I just run the timer and don't look at it until I finish.  I've pretty much got my timing down now and checking the time adds anxiety, which hinders my performance.

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »
Retake and stay away from Kaplan.

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »
SLOW DOWN and annotate... this goes for both LR and RC

Also, I would say that doing a butt load of practice tests helps your confidence a lot!

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 01:05:28 PM »
Retake and stay away from Kaplan.

Holy crap dude!  You just bumped the old thread that has the first post I ever made here in it.  :)
I did not know that was the case Jeffort. I was just searching for a thread that might help the Feb. test takers. (Yeah right, I was reading all of your posts ;D)

Since this is a advice thread, I'll say that it is great advice to visit your testing facility before the big day as well. There was no parking near my test center and I would have freaked out on test day if I would have had to find a parking spot where I would not get a ticket or get towed.

J_

• YOU! Yeah!!!! That guy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 01:50:31 PM »
My old man said: "Be positive and don't give up.  On any game day, it is always possible for the worst team in the league to beat the best team in the league."  Only semi-sure of how it relates, but it made me feel better   ;D

armada

• I have people to go and places to see!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2008, 08:56:31 PM »
My old man said: "Be positive and don't give up.  On any game day, it is always possible for the worst team in the league to beat the best team in the league."  Only semi-sure of how it relates, but it made me feel better   ;D

I think he was talking about those days when the worst team spikes/poisons the best teams water supply right before the game.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f1ghezrzIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yItYBRyOYZA

So, who do you spike/poison for this to work on LSAT day?

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2008, 10:44:25 PM »
The best advice I got was a week before the LSAT.  I was in a panic because my practice scores had dropped recently after over a month of hitting my target range.  I was FREAKING out.  My parents told me to "study the way you feel comfortable, not the way people tell you to.  You know yourself."  That meant studying my butt off every day, including the day before the test.  Though every one said that would burn me out, I managed to salvage my confidence and went in the next day feeling much better.

I think it's important to remember that what works for every one else may not work for you.  By contrast, your methods may be strange to others but might offer the best chance for success.

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 08:53:33 AM »
I owe much to the person who told me to skip and save the time consuming difficult problems for the end.