Law School Discussion

What was the BEST LSAT ADVICE you ever had?

once denied

Re: What was the BEST LSAT ADVICE you ever had?
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »
No-coffee advice was cross-posted with lsatismylifenow. :-0

I also will second the "choose your test site carefully" advice.  There seems to be a consensus that smaller sites are better . . . there tends to be more desk space, the proctors are less uptight, etc.  If you are taking the LSAT in a large test site (e.g. an auditorium) the desks tend to be cramped and the chairs uncomfortable.  Not to mention there are lines leading to the bathroom during break, and the proctors seem to be more stringent/uptight.  It can also be unnerving listening to a hundred other people turning pages, dropping their pencils, etc.  At the auditorium at SUNY-Buffalo, where I took my first LSAT, the chairs were uncomfortable and *squeaked* constantly (they were these plastic bucket-chair deals that were attached to the desks with a metal thing).  Very annoying.

12(e)

• Where's your towel?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 02:12:09 PM »
I agree wiht the plenty of sleep advice.

Also, I think one should do what one always does.  that is, if you ALWAYS have coffee in the morning, LSAT test day is not the day to stop.  But on the other hand, if you rarely drink coffee, don't start on test day!

I set up a pre-test routine a couple of weeks before the test.  Seated streatching followed by breathing relaxation followed by energizing movements/thoughts.  It helped me get into the correct frame of mind very quickly once I got used to the routine.  Like dribbling before a free throw in basketball...

Slider

• The only impossible journey is one u never begin
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 02:56:55 PM »
Buy the LGB. Had I not been told this, I'd still be wallowing in +6 wrong on games due to Princeton Review's flawed games method.

Me too! Princeton Review = big mistake

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 03:10:01 PM »
Practically anything and everything that Vera (Sunfunliving) had graciously helped me with!

goldrogers

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 04:35:41 PM »
Just make sure you get 8+ hours of sleep the night before, and you won't be tired or slow.  Getting enough sleep is KEY to feeling relaxed and ready the day of the exam.

I'm the type of person who has a very difficult time sleeping before a big exam or interview. Should I get a subscription for sleep medication for just that night? I really don't want to screw up on the test because I was tired.

odaiko

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 05:10:08 PM »
I work with a bunch of education/brain research people, so although this sounds corny I took their word for it.

Their advice was to do physical movements before the test and during breaks that cross the hemispheres of your brain. You can do this by crossing your arms and grabbing opposite shoulders, twisting, touching opposite toes--whatever.

No clue if it really works, but I did much better on my "brain exercise" test than on my others... I think the most important thing is to get up, stretch, and stimulate your body whenever you can.

JaimeNina

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 05:31:23 PM »
The best advice that I got was not to take the test until you are prepared enough to get the score you want. I initially planned on taking the Oct 2003 LSAT just to get it out of the way, and studied all summer for it, but with my worthless Kaplan class, even my highest score was still 3 points below what I wanted, and I was not scoring that consistently.  So I put it aside, and did not sit for the test until June 2005.  I started studying again a couple months before that test in a different way, and ended up not only getting a much higher score, but not having to worry about averaging it with a first botched score, like I would have if I had taken the test in 2003.

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 06:33:09 PM »
The best advice I got was the following.

1. Study like your life depends on it.
2. Study smartly

I studied as if the outside world didn't exist. I also combed and talked to anybody and everybody about what I should focus on. What is important, and what isn't. Of course, much of it was conflicting  :o

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 03:53:03 AM »
A lawyer friend once told me, "You'll never meet anyone who will tell you, 'Damn - I took too many practice LSATs."  Buy the "Ten LSAT" books - exposure/practice is everything. 

dusya4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 07:14:59 AM »
To not bring any preconceived notions into the test. The outside world does not exist when it comes to the LSAT.