Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Have you resigned/quit/been fired yet? PLEASE VOTE AGAIN!

Yes
 116 (58%)
No
 61 (30.5%)
I didn't have a job to quit/be fired from
 23 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Author Topic: The "I Just Resigned" Thread  (Read 24815 times)

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
Re: The "I Just Resigned" Thread
« Reply #290 on: June 05, 2007, 11:36:59 PM »
My last day's tomorrow.  ;D

I've got around 2 weeks "off" after tomorrow (translation: I'm a research assistant to a professor and I owe her 15 hours of work, so that's what I'll be doing!) and then I babysit two kids for a few weeks, pack, and get my behind moved from MN to CA.

I'm totally nervous about giving up a steady income.  What's difficult for me to accept is that no matter how much I save, I'm still not going to have enough money to move cross country without the help of credit cards.  It's not going to change if I stay at my job 4 more weeks or choose to babysit, so I picked the option that would be the most fun (I hope!).
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2007, 08:11:31 AM »
i can't quit my job until i close a loan on buying a place for law school.
i really want to quit, though

seacotton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 19, 2007, 01:18:36 PM »
I just did it.  Gave three week notice.  The boss took it well as did most of my coworkers. 

What a load off!

Weasy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2007, 07:20:55 AM »
Quitting my job was one of the most wonderful things I've done all year. I'd been there since September and had hated it pretty much from the start. It took a supreme effort not to run screaming from the building on several occasions.

I gave 2 weeks notice with a polite letter and explanation that I was pursuing my education and moving out of state. I kept it fairly quiet as to when I'd be leaving, but it was hardly a secret that I wanted to attend law school. (My boss wrote me a very nice letter of recommendation for it.) The only thing I'll miss about that job is my coworkers, most of whom were pretty decent people, it was the job and company policies that made things miserable there.

Spending the rest of my summer coasting on savings and reading all the fiction I can before law school begins and I have to kick the habit.  :D
University of Arizona 2010

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2007, 10:38:09 AM »
I almost forgot to submit my formal resignation because everyone has known for months when I'd be leaving, and my replacement started last week so I can train her.  On Friday, I thought about the fact that I have only two weeks left...then I realized I never handed in a letter to HR...so I wrote it and the HR Manager laughed at me when I gave it to her because she was wondering if I was going to remember it or not.  Sigh.

It felt good, but also really frightening.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2007, 12:13:59 PM »
I just gave notice last week.  I decided to give them 4 weeks because it's a nonprofit, I've worked here 2 years, and they are currently in a hiring freeze.  Everyone seems very happy for me.  My boss has offered to keep me on as a consultant during my first semester -- performing just a few of my current responsibilities.  The pay is great, the work is next-to-none, and she is currently going to bat for me to try and retain my health coverage during this time.  In sum, it couldn't have gone much better. 

quem vem la-sou eu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2007, 10:58:41 PM »
Also nonprofit/quasi-government, I gave like 2 months notice, which I probably would not have done if it were a corporate scenario. It all went well, plus the offer of part-time telecommuting work. Now all that's left is for me to get sloshed one day out at lunch and come back and yell at people and make inappropriate sexual advances.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2007, 11:08:19 PM »
Also nonprofit/quasi-government, I gave like 2 months notice, which I probably would not have done if it were a corporate scenario. It all went well, plus the offer of part-time telecommuting work. Now all that's left is for me to get sloshed one day out at lunch and come back and yell at people and make inappropriate sexual advances.

Lemme know when, we'll go hit Superior and Pat O's

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 10, 2007, 09:21:41 AM »
i'm supposed to close on a condo a mile from the law school parking garage on friday.  as soon as i do, i'm stopping by work to put in my 2 wk notice. yay!

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: July 10, 2007, 10:44:57 AM »
I handed in my four-week notice today; last day is 8/3. In a way it's both exciting and frightening. I mean, I'm actually quitting a good, steady job to take an enormous risk on the government's dime at 7.28% interest. But, @#!* yeah, I'm quitting to go make a stab at being a lawyer! New chapter!! Yet at the same time, it forces me to reflect on the old chapter as a journalist, writer, editor and critic. Was it ultimately successful, despite the fact I was laid off three times and am not at all in the spot I thought I'd be when I started this adventure post-undergraduate? The mind is a fragile thing ... law's always been an option, and these difficulties spurred me to action. So in a way, the journey has made me smarter, wiser, more empathetic and more resourceful but I said "@#!* it" and did it because the media just got so damn unstable and insane. And I DID do a lot of good work.   
Pace '10