Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Have you resigned/quit/been fired yet? PLEASE VOTE AGAIN!

Yes
 116 (58%)
No
 61 (30.5%)
I didn't have a job to quit/be fired from
 23 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Author Topic: The "I Just Resigned" Thread  (Read 24824 times)

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The "I Just Resigned" Thread
« Reply #280 on: June 04, 2007, 11:08:51 AM »
Brush up on a language you've learned but haven't used much.

Take lots of fitness classes.

Read Harry Potter.

Take a couple trips.

These are my plans. :)
Michigan Law Class of 2010

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 04, 2007, 03:48:30 PM »
i'm still trying to figure out when i want my last day to be, and they may walk me out the day i out in my 2-week notice

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 04, 2007, 04:10:42 PM »
i'm still trying to figure out when i want my last day to be, and they may walk me out the day i out in my 2-week notice

then don't give a two-week notice.

it's not like i'll actually be working those last two weeks, anyway

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 04, 2007, 04:45:59 PM »

then don't give a two-week notice.

it's not like i'll actually be working those last two weeks, anyway

yeah but you'll be getting paid.

i wouldn't want it to come back and bite me later.
i'll just put in my 2-week notice sometime when i won't care if they walk me out that day and i lose the paycheck.

Sam P. Huntington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 04, 2007, 04:52:22 PM »
Is it standard to be paid for the two weeks that are your "two weeks' notice" weeks if the company you work for allows you to leave before the 2 weeks are up?
Boston College Law School Class of 2010

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 04, 2007, 05:21:12 PM »
Is it standard to be paid for the two weeks that are your "two weeks' notice" weeks if the company you work for allows you to leave before the 2 weeks are up?

most places keep you around for 2 weeks to wrap up what you are doing and/or to help transition or train a replacement.

some places walk you out the door the day you put in your 2-week notice (and pay for your 2 weeks because they didn't fire you, they just don't trust you to be there and not steal secrets or pens or something)

it depends

my company very well could walk me out that day (garaunteed when you tell them you are leaving to work for a competitor).

rusty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #286 on: June 05, 2007, 01:15:20 AM »
Here's my situation - I've been at a job since January that required me to give a verbal 2-year committment, but at the same time told me that it wasn't really official.  They put me through 2 months of (paid) training, and the job kinda sucks but it pays the bills.  My justification for taking the job was that I didn't really know for SURE if I'd be going to law school, although it was obviously a distict possibility.  So, my game plan now is to give my 2-week notice in 2 weeks, with my last day at the end of June.  I would give them more notice, but I can't say whether they'd just let me go on the spot or not, and I need the cash from that few extra weeks.  I'm not really worried about the verbal committment because the only reason they do it is because of the high turnover, but people still leave all the time.

So...here's the awkward part.  Friday my boss called me into his office, and I'm terrified he knows that I've been shopping online for bikinis all morning for my impending move to LA.  Instead, he tells me they're giving me a raise because they realized I was underpaid compared to the industry standard for my job.  Not a huge raise, but still.  I was just shocked and thanked him, but on the inside of course I'm thinking "oh $hit, he's going to be pissed when I'm sitting in this seat in 2 weeks giving my notice..."

Anyhow, I considered telling him tomorrow that I'm leaving so they don't have to give me the extra money (it wouldn't make a big difference over a month anyway), but now I'm thinking I might just stick to the original plan.  I just feel bad.  Plus I've been lying to all of my co-workers, because the way my department is, if I tell one person everyone else will know within seconds.

Any advice/commiseration?  I just feel very guilty and needed to share my pain I guess.  All in all, it's a stupid corporate job that I don't believe in anyway, so I know I shouldn't care...but I do.

If they are giving you a raise because your pay is below industry standard, it just means they were screwing you over to begin with and your pay was so embarassingly low for your position and that it was hurting the company averages.  I wouldn't feel bad about that at all.
GMU '10

anon8558

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 05, 2007, 08:00:13 AM »
If they are giving you a raise because your pay is below industry standard, it just means they were screwing you over to begin with and your pay was so embarassingly low for your position and that it was hurting the company averages.  I wouldn't feel bad about that at all.

This is my thought - plus, I'm thinking that if they were actually willing to give me a raise, I must have been making A LOT less than the standard, because if it was only a little they'd probably just let it go.  Not that I was living in poverty or anything, I actually considered it to be a really decent salary for a liberal arts major right out of college...but still.

Yeah, not feeling guilty at all.  I think the increase of the raise over the rest of the time I'm actually going to be here amounts to a few hundred dollars.  It's my payback for the fact that my health insurance is absolutely terrible, even though I work for one of the biggest (and most profitable) health insurance companies in the world...

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 05, 2007, 10:52:51 AM »
Here's my situation - I've been at a job since January that required me to give a verbal 2-year committment, but at the same time told me that it wasn't really official.  They put me through 2 months of (paid) training, and the job kinda sucks but it pays the bills.  My justification for taking the job was that I didn't really know for SURE if I'd be going to law school, although it was obviously a distict possibility.  So, my game plan now is to give my 2-week notice in 2 weeks, with my last day at the end of June.  I would give them more notice, but I can't say whether they'd just let me go on the spot or not, and I need the cash from that few extra weeks.  I'm not really worried about the verbal committment because the only reason they do it is because of the high turnover, but people still leave all the time.

So...here's the awkward part.  Friday my boss called me into his office, and I'm terrified he knows that I've been shopping online for bikinis all morning for my impending move to LA.  Instead, he tells me they're giving me a raise because they realized I was underpaid compared to the industry standard for my job.  Not a huge raise, but still.  I was just shocked and thanked him, but on the inside of course I'm thinking "oh $hit, he's going to be pissed when I'm sitting in this seat in 2 weeks giving my notice..."

Anyhow, I considered telling him tomorrow that I'm leaving so they don't have to give me the extra money (it wouldn't make a big difference over a month anyway), but now I'm thinking I might just stick to the original plan.  I just feel bad.  Plus I've been lying to all of my co-workers, because the way my department is, if I tell one person everyone else will know within seconds.

Any advice/commiseration?  I just feel very guilty and needed to share my pain I guess.  All in all, it's a stupid corporate job that I don't believe in anyway, so I know I shouldn't care...but I do.

It means you are a human being that you feel guilty over this.  It means you have a conscience.  That said;  ignore your conscience on this - you need to do whats best for you, and that is going to law school.  You feel some responsibility to the company because they engineer their operation this way.  I can assure you they feel no such responsibility to you, when it becomes fiscally disadvantageous to have you around, you won't be.  At least in the business world, don't give them the benefit when they aren't giving you any.

Sam P. Huntington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 05, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »

It means you are a human being that you feel guilty over this.  It means you have a conscience.  That said;  ignore your conscience on this - you need to do whats best for you, and that is going to law school.  You feel some responsibility to the company because they engineer their operation this way.  I can assure you they feel no such responsibility to you, when it becomes fiscally disadvantageous to have you around, you won't be.  At least in the business world, don't give them the benefit when they aren't giving you any.
[/quote]

Well said!
Boston College Law School Class of 2010