Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Have you resigned/quit/been fired yet? PLEASE VOTE AGAIN!

Yes
 116 (58%)
No
 61 (30.5%)
I didn't have a job to quit/be fired from
 23 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Author Topic: The "I Just Resigned" Thread  (Read 24831 times)

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The "I Just Resigned" Thread
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2007, 07:02:15 PM »
I did it!  It actually went well.  I told her that I was leaving at the end of July. She said she appreciated me telling her so early.  She also said that they'd welcome me back for Christmas and summers, so if nothing else I have a guaranteed paycheck!

Awesome!!! Congrats!
Michigan Law Class of 2010

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2007, 01:26:13 PM »
i really need to figure out when i'm gonna put in my 2-weeks notice.
i do want about 6 weeks to line up a place and move and cram for the patent bar exam and take the patent bar exam....maybe i need 8 weeks?
maybe 10 weeks?
maybe i should quit today!

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2007, 01:39:29 PM »
I'm quitting June 15 and counting down every hour. 

i do want about 6 weeks to line up a place and move and cram for the patent bar exam and take the patent bar exam....maybe i need 8 weeks?
maybe 10 weeks?

Are you going to be studying for the patent bar full time?  If so, 6 weeks should be fine if you focus and use a course.
2L

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »
I'm quitting June 15 and counting down every hour.

maybe 10 weeks?

Are you going to be studying for the patent bar full time? If so, 6 weeks should be fine if you focus and use a course.

i plan on studying for the patent bar full time when i quit.  but i also have to line up a place to live and move.  not sure how long that could take.  so maybe 8 weeks would be better

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2007, 02:10:28 PM »
I'm not sure when I want my last day to be. Either July 27th or August 3rd. August 3rd is the longest I can stay, because I'm going on a vacation starting the 5th, but (BUT!), I'd like the extra week off to run errands and such.
VIP.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2007, 02:12:04 PM »
My last day is tomorrow. Today when I was driving in I thought "Wow, I only have to make this trek one more time!"

Yet today feels just like any other day. Wierd.

marina913

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2007, 02:22:21 PM »
I told my employer that I would work until the end of July (because I need to money and I am supposed to train a new person). But now I feel like I want to take time off before I move..from Berkeley to Ithaca!

Do you think having the time between August 1 and August 20th is enough time...?  ???
Cornell Law School, c/o 2010...

. . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2007, 11:43:26 AM »
i did it today! official last day is june 29th!

anon8558

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 03, 2007, 10:24:24 PM »
Here's my situation - I've been at a job since January that required me to give a verbal 2-year committment, but at the same time told me that it wasn't really official.  They put me through 2 months of (paid) training, and the job kinda sucks but it pays the bills.  My justification for taking the job was that I didn't really know for SURE if I'd be going to law school, although it was obviously a distict possibility.  So, my game plan now is to give my 2-week notice in 2 weeks, with my last day at the end of June.  I would give them more notice, but I can't say whether they'd just let me go on the spot or not, and I need the cash from that few extra weeks.  I'm not really worried about the verbal committment because the only reason they do it is because of the high turnover, but people still leave all the time.

So...here's the awkward part.  Friday my boss called me into his office, and I'm terrified he knows that I've been shopping online for bikinis all morning for my impending move to LA.  Instead, he tells me they're giving me a raise because they realized I was underpaid compared to the industry standard for my job.  Not a huge raise, but still.  I was just shocked and thanked him, but on the inside of course I'm thinking "oh $hit, he's going to be pissed when I'm sitting in this seat in 2 weeks giving my notice..."

Anyhow, I considered telling him tomorrow that I'm leaving so they don't have to give me the extra money (it wouldn't make a big difference over a month anyway), but now I'm thinking I might just stick to the original plan.  I just feel bad.  Plus I've been lying to all of my co-workers, because the way my department is, if I tell one person everyone else will know within seconds.

Any advice/commiseration?  I just feel very guilty and needed to share my pain I guess.  All in all, it's a stupid corporate job that I don't believe in anyway, so I know I shouldn't care...but I do.

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 04, 2007, 02:19:18 AM »
Thursday is my last day.

I am  nervous yet excited. The job in itself was not stimulating and it was begining to detoriate. No doubt it had its good days but they were behind me.

Anyone else feel nervous about quitting and begining law school?  ???I will have a month off before I begin my summer legal writing prep class.

What are you guys going to do before you begin law school?

Any recommendations for things to do?

I am not use to Free time.  :-[