Law School Discussion

Poll

Have you resigned/quit/been fired yet? PLEASE VOTE AGAIN!

Yes
116 (58%)
No
61 (30.5%)
I didn't have a job to quit/be fired from
23 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 183

The "I Just Resigned" Thread

Re: The "I Just Resigned" Thread
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2007, 07:53:28 AM »
i'm still trying to rationalize quitting a month or two before law school to cram 200 hours of study time in so i can take the patent bar exam.
i'm just not that motivated to do more studying.  but if it means i can rationalize quitting working 2 months before law school starts, then i'm all for it!!!

I hear you, jer, on trying to rationalize it. My job pays well, but other aspects of the job make me wonder if the money is worth it. Oh the things I could do with a summer "off"!

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2007, 08:40:38 AM »
I did it!
Just gave my notice! 

Feels good, doesn't it!   :)

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2007, 08:43:34 AM »
I did it!
Just gave my notice!

congrats!!!

how'd they take it?

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 25, 2007, 06:40:39 AM »
i really should quit sometime in june.
maybe if i give my 2-week notice by then it will prevent me from just quitting and walking out the same day

Texas2L

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2007, 06:52:14 AM »
If you actually intend to take the patent bar, I'd quit a little early.  Depends how bad off you are for money I guess.  You could always do the patent bar during 1L summer if you can't find a job.

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2007, 07:09:16 AM »
i think i'll quit about 8-10 weeks early and cram for the patent bar exam and try to take it before fall.

i need to go to the govt website and figure out what i need to do to register.  i think you have about a 3-4 month window to take the exam once you register

Texas2L

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2007, 07:21:48 AM »
How hard is your masters program?  You think it'll interfere with your patent bar stuff?  Also, find an apartment yet?

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2007, 07:26:17 AM »
i've only got one course over the summer to wrap up my masters program, and it's basically a continuation of a group project we've been working on in the past 3 classes.  i'm not too worried about it.  it won't make much difference in my gpa, and nobody is ever gonna care about a 3.9 gpa in grad school, anyway.
i think i am going to call an apartment locator, but it wouldn't do much good now because most places ask for a 30-day move out notice if you aren't going to renew your lease.  so people who will be moving out in august won't give notice until july.  so it's kinda early to really have a good idea of what's available.

Texas2L

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2007, 07:31:42 AM »
True, but you can still look around and find the place you'd most like to live, and if there's any availability there you don't need to wait.  Especially after you quit, no reason to live in fort worth anymore right?

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 25, 2007, 07:50:24 AM »
kinda hard to 'look around' and get familiar with the area around smu since i live over in ft worth.  i was hoping an apartment locator could really help out with that.  i have looked at condos near smu, but they were all kinda crappy and in not-so-nice areas.  and i really don't want to tie up all that cash when i'd still have HOA dues and utilities and feel like i'm still paying rent.
my current lease is up at the beginning of september, but i could move out in june or july if i found a place in dallas and just pay the extra month or two of rent in ft worth.