Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Have you resigned/quit/been fired yet? PLEASE VOTE AGAIN!

Yes
 116 (58%)
No
 61 (30.5%)
I didn't have a job to quit/be fired from
 23 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Author Topic: The "I Just Resigned" Thread  (Read 24472 times)

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Re: The "I Just Resigned" Thread
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2006, 08:56:30 AM »
Resigned! Still going to finish out the month, but it feels so good to know that I'm out. My bosses were totally surprised, and wondered why anyone would want to go to law school over my current job.

They actually made a pretty good case. Damn ...

Columbia 2L.

yokyok

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2006, 09:27:20 AM »
Not trying to bust on anybody, but how do you NOT resign in person (barring distance work situations)? I just couldn't ever do that over email or letter or phone message or anything... I did it in person on Monday and it sucked, but here we are and now I have 3.5 weeks left of work. YAY! Then two weeks of blissful nothingness until orientation starts...

Actually, it was funny. I IM'ed my boss saying we should go to lunch b/c I needed to talk to him. He wrote back "sh*t... are you leaving?". I said "um, let's just go to lunch" - so, who am I to say anything? I almost resigned on IM!! That would have been awesome.

you should always resign by e-mail so you have written proof that you resigned before you got fired.

Brian
Oh, I wrote a letter too - PDF'ed it and had it ready to send to the director of HR as soon as my boss and I got done talking. That said, my company really isn't like that (about firing) - you pretty much have to embezzle something to get fired here anyway.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2006, 04:48:58 PM »
Yep, my notice is OFFICIALLY in!   ;D ;D ;D

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2006, 05:43:00 PM »
Not trying to bust on anybody, but how do you NOT resign in person (barring distance work situations)? I just couldn't ever do that over email or letter or phone message or anything... I did it in person on Monday and it sucked, but here we are and now I have 3.5 weeks left of work. YAY! Then two weeks of blissful nothingness until orientation starts...

Actually, it was funny. I IM'ed my boss saying we should go to lunch b/c I needed to talk to him. He wrote back "sh*t... are you leaving?". I said "um, let's just go to lunch" - so, who am I to say anything? I almost resigned on IM!! That would have been awesome.

you should always resign by e-mail so you have written proof that you resigned before you got fired.

Brian
Oh, I wrote a letter too - PDF'ed it and had it ready to send to the director of HR as soon as my boss and I got done talking. That said, my company really isn't like that (about firing) - you pretty much have to embezzle something to get fired here anyway.

i don't like the email idea, but i understand the need to cover your own interests... i suppose it dependson the company and whether or not they'd be the type to fire you as you were quitting. i did it face to face, then followed with a letter referencing our conversation.
Iowa Law Class of '09

favor24

• The countdown begins...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2006, 05:50:03 PM »
Even though my boss has known I was going to law school since February- I turned in my official resignation today!!   ;D
Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.

dodo97

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »
Finished my final day on the job as a journalist a couple hours ago. RETIREMENT!!!! (well, for about 10 days before I have to start moving, anyway)

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2006, 12:35:50 AM »
Was going to give my company 3 week notice, but they just gave me a verbal warning yesterday, about me speaking my native tongue, Chinese, in the office.  They have an unofficial ban on Chinese.  This greatly pissed me off, and I think I might reduce that 3 week notice down to a 1 hour notice.  >:(

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2006, 04:41:19 PM »
Six business days left and counting.  I gave a four month notice after mobilizing and ensuring with a higher up that my immediate supervisor would not let me go. 
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

hiya02

• 3.8/164 :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2006, 05:32:21 PM »
I *love* this thread - I put in my notice earlier this week and am enjoying reading the backposts - especially the one about how it felt like finally vomiting after having been sick. :)

I gave 3 weeks notice, which  I guess is short, but I think its professional enough.  Looks like there's others here that did the same. Weird part is that this VP asked me to have lunch w/him before i leave to get my input re: the company.  Cool!

beer gunner

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2006, 02:29:19 AM »
done and done.
To drink a beer or not to drink a beer, was that the question?

OL - 3rd tier