Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Have you resigned/quit/been fired yet? PLEASE VOTE AGAIN!

Yes
 116 (58%)
No
 61 (30.5%)
I didn't have a job to quit/be fired from
 23 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Author Topic: The "I Just Resigned" Thread  (Read 24839 times)

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
Re: The "I Just Resigned" Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2006, 05:15:10 PM »
ok i have a question. when u fill out a resume that says list all previous employers do u really have to do that. I was planning on just leaving this place off of all of my resumes and forgetting i ever worked their. That wont matter for the bar will it?
Attending: OU

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2006, 06:01:20 PM »
ok i have a question. when u fill out a resume that says list all previous employers do u really have to do that. I was planning on just leaving this place off of all of my resumes and forgetting i ever worked their. That wont matter for the bar will it?

you can list it as employment, but do not list it as a reference. you don't want to look like you're evading an experience. as long as you provide strong references and/or "references available upon request" you'll be fine. it's understandable that you're concerned about it right now but in the big picture it won't be a *huge* deal. the only time i would consider not putting a job on a resume is if it was a part time and/or short term employment and you were concurrently employed somewhere else. if you eliminate it then you will have a gap in your resume and that will look even worse

kapstone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2006, 06:04:03 PM »
A few days late, but I submitted my 2 weeks notice last week - they knew I was leaving since they hired me and we talked about a date that worked for all parties, so this is no surprise...trying to stay focused.
Hopefully more Sam Seaborn than Richard Nixon....

schneri

• Sr. Citizen
  • BC '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2006, 10:51:17 PM »
stayting focused, sooo hard... but so necessary to pay the bills....

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2006, 12:49:43 PM »
Ok, just had my day.

3 weeks notice and Im done.  They didnt know it was coming.

Bittersweet - I am feeling very sad right now. :-\

But on to more exciting....
2L

crazy8

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2006, 01:02:07 PM »
paid off all of the credit card bills.  Drafting letter, will be handed in on Wed. Giving them 1 mth notice. :-\

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2006, 02:21:37 PM »
i can't f-ing wait.  i get to do it tomorrow...one month as well.  having bad day so wish i could do it today but no time!
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2006, 03:25:52 PM »
In right-to-work states such as PA, is an employer able to terminate the employee immediately upon becoming informed of his/her resignation even if thatemployee specifies a certain last day (e.g. two weeks from notice)? I want to get this monkey off my back and let my employer know now (currently would be 3 weeks in advance), but I also know that it will probably not be well received and I am not sure how they will respond.  The couple of weeks pay is important as well as resigning before being let go. To explain, I am somewhat nervous that they've already found out, are pissed, and could let me go before giving my notice after July 4 next Wed. Any suggestions?
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

krumanadi

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2006, 03:28:19 PM »
In right-to-work states such as PA, is an employer able to terminate the employee immediately upon becoming informed of his/her resignation even if thatemployee specifies a certain last day (e.g. two weeks from notice)? I want to get this monkey off my back and let my employer know now (currently would be 3 weeks in advance), but I also know that it will probably not be well received and I am not sure how they will respond.  The couple of weeks pay is important as well as resigning before being let go. To explain, I am somewhat nervous that they've already found out, are pissed, and could let me go before giving my notice after July 4 next Wed. Any suggestions?

If they let you go right away, then go collect unemployment and thank your stars.  They'd have to be dumb to make you leave.. Even if they dismiss you one day earlier than your notice date, you are entitled for unemployment.

Bay Area Bum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2006, 04:07:51 PM »
If they let you go right away, then go collect unemployment and thank your stars.  They'd have to be dumb to make you leave.. Even if they dismiss you one day earlier than your notice date, you are entitled for unemployment.

Yes, but if they make you leave right away, keep in mind that you'll collect less through unemployment than if you had stayed on for those 2 weeks.  For me, in NJ, with a weekly cap of $521, I'd collect less than half of what I would've gotten if they let me finish out the two weeks.