Law School Discussion

Poll

Have you resigned/quit/been fired yet? PLEASE VOTE AGAIN!

Yes
116 (58%)
No
61 (30.5%)
I didn't have a job to quit/be fired from
23 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 183

The "I Just Resigned" Thread

Pythagoras

• ĦEn Mexique!
    • View Profile
Re: The "I Just Resigned" Thread
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 12:42:55 PM »
I am avoiding telling my bosses, I just feel bad.

Don't.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006, 03:50:01 PM »
I gave notice (6 weeks notice) a few days ago.  My boss responded "congratulations"  She asked if I would consider part time and wanted to set up meetings with the General Counsel of my company and a VP.  Pretty cool since a year ago we were at each other's throats.

I wonder if I should have stayed a little longer, I mean am I being lazy for taking a 5 week vacation?  I've been working for about 4 years now... I also get paid very well. My job is very stressful however and I have to move across the country to a city I've only visited once... Well I really haven't completely decided on Kent or Iowa yet...

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 05:23:29 AM »
I was promoted at my jon about a month ago and that is when I decided to let them know I was leaving.  Everyone seemed to be supportive.  The CEO has been trying to talk me out of going to law school, I guess because they want me to stay.  Turth be told, I wouldn't stay here for any amount of money:)

crazy8

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 06:51:40 AM »
I need to start forumlating this letter  :-\  I'm not leaving until the end of July and really only need to give them 2 weeks notice, but since they won't see it coming, I figured I would give them ample time to find someone else so that I could train them before I leave.

Sometimes I feel bad, then other times I just think that after a month of me being gone, they won't even remember me.

aaaa

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2006, 04:28:18 PM »
i'm a lame duck... i told them all a while ago that i'm going to law school... but something just clicked at work and now i'm not invited to the staff retreat, i'm not included in meetings that were usually my jurisdiction.  i'm still relied on for the occasional crappy assignment. 

i guess i should be happy that i'm still collecting a pay check, but it's really driving me crazy. 

how are you guys affording taking a month off of work?  it sounds tempting.  i was thinking i'd do two weeks. 

krumanadi

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2006, 07:25:00 PM »
I'm doing it through unemployment..

You should really try not working.. It does wonders for your sleeping.. ;)

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 08:50:42 PM »
Anybody here NOT give 2 weeks notice, but just up and quit? I'll probably end up doing it this way because I have absolutely no trust in my boss...

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 05:48:32 AM »
Anybody here NOT give 2 weeks notice, but just up and quit? I'll probably end up doing it this way because I have absolutely no trust in my boss...

Have they fired people after those people gave 2 weeks notice?  IF so then I think you have a case.  Otherwise, you're burning bridges, while its very unlikely it will ever come back to bite you, why take the risk?

I would give the two weeks notice and worst case you're working two less weeks than you thought.  E-mail your resignation before you tell them and make sure it is timestamped in the e-mail.  Also, if you work in an office make sure you forward the e-mail to your personal e-mail so you have a copy just in case.

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 08:33:49 AM »
I'm surprised that so many people seem to have to be surreptitious in bailing from their jobs. Is anyone else in a similar situation to mine - where my employer has recognized that my position is really just a short term entry level role?

When I informed my boss that I planned on going to graduate/law school, he was very encouraging; he even wrote me a letter of recommendation. When I informed the president of my organization that I'm leaving in a couple months, he was equally supportive. I think they might like me to come back when I have a JD, but there's certainly no gurantee that will happen.

I was under the impression that most employers wouldn't expect to keep those of us who went to work fresh out of college to hang around for too many years. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I work for a non-profit, research association.

law123

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 08:47:40 AM »
tag