Law School Discussion

How much time are you spending on preparation?

How much time are you spending on preparation?
« on: May 15, 2006, 09:39:23 PM »
I just registered for the June 12 LSAT a couple of days ago. I assumed a month would be plenty of time to prepare. After reading a few posts, it see that many of you have been studying for months. I suppose the amout of prep required varies with the ability/goals of each individual, but I am still curious as to how many hours people are putting in. Also, do you feel that  after a certain amount of preparation, you "max out" your potential for improvement?

Re: How much time are you spending on preparation?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 09:59:38 PM »
I'm taking the september test and I'm putting in 3-4 hours a day.

Vick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 11:07:34 PM »
I'm registered for the September LSAT.  I am spending 10-12 hrs/week until July.  After that, I hope to spend 20 hrs/week until September.  It should total well over 200 hours.
I'm not one of those people who's naturally gifted when it comes to standardized tests.  For me, this time commitment is required.     

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 11:10:37 PM »
Last week I tried taking a prep test every other day and intensely studying the prep test on the day between (I did that for five straight days), but I found that just too much, and I haven't done anything since Saturday (two days ago).  I've seen some people on this board talk about how they can study for 8 hours a day or some crazy *&^% like that, but for me it would just be too much.  From now on I think I'll do practice tests maybe three days a week and review them on maybe one day per week.  Also I can take more than one test per day to improve endurance; that might be a good idea.  

JoeGibbsRedskins

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 11:28:35 PM »
take the june test. Studying for months does not help. Most of the stuff u will forget if u study for months.

The people who get the best scores on the Lsats are usually people who take a prep class right before the test, do all the homework. And take as many prep test in a short period of time.

You basically max out if u study real hard for 2 weeks

Also most of the studying is useless.  The powerscore bible only helps for certain things. Like when i am taking a prep test i do almost none of the diagrams because it is harder to spot a diagram then it to solve a problem.

1. You can not study for reading comp. It is all focus. You got have your mind focused on the passage.

2. The logical reason study should not take more then 2 days. After u got the suf- nes down u can solve most problems

3. the only thing u need to learn how to do is the games. That should not take u too long. They are only a few ways that u can do games.

Study hard now and get it over with.

JoeGibbsRedskins

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 11:43:16 PM »
Taking Sept 30th:

Monday       4 1/2  hours studing + 4 hour class
Tuesday      9 hours studying
Wednesday  4 hour class
Thursday     9 hours studying
Friday          9 hours studying
Saturday      4 hour class + 8 hours studying
Sunday        6 hours studying

Those hours include taking prep tests.

what are  u studying? That should be maybe for one week. But once u know how to set up the games there is nothing else to study. It just doing the prep test.

Reading comp is all focus. You know the questions they are going to ask u. No need to study that.

Logic reasoning is something once u get it gets easy.  And how many prep test are u going to take? I only know of 12 that are real ones.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 12:11:31 AM »
You only know of 12 real tests?   There are 48 released tests.

Taking each test and reviewing the answers and redoing the wrong ones.

I am taking a class, that is 8 to 12 hours per week + 40ish pages of homework per lesson. Doing ALL of the homework, reviewing and redoing any questions I get wrong.

LR Bible + LG Bible + NOVA Book. Doing all of the work in each one of those until I obtain perfection.

Just because someone has a different method than you, it does not make the other person's method wrong. There are plenty of people on the site that are doing the exact same thing.

Right Vera?

JoeGibbsRedskins

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 10:26:46 AM »
well in class they tell u to take it right after the course because the knowledge is fresh in your mind. Also the best time to take it is June because if something happens u can retake in september and cancel your scores right away, and no college student could focus studying in the summer anyways.

I guess it depends what u do. Right now i have no job and i can finish the booklets in a couple weeks. Someone with a job may need to study a few hrs every for a long time.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 11:25:15 AM »
... and no college student could focus studying in the summer anyways.

I guess it depends what u do. Right now i have no job and i can finish the booklets in a couple weeks. Someone with a job may need to study a few hrs every for a long time.

I am a college student and I do just find studying. It's all about commitment. I also have a job. and when I am in school (minus LSAT work) I spend about 90 hours per week on school + work + studying.

Some people just have different priorities.

dusya4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 06:17:03 AM »
I started studying in January, but I work full time and I'm getting a masters so the studying wasn't really intense all along. However, my score has been improving steadily over the entire period of time and I still don't feel like I maxed out.