Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The da vinci code  (Read 3050 times)

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The da vinci code
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 07:27:03 PM »
Yeah, but you just throw it out there.

cob

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.54/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 07:27:42 PM »
Yeah, but you just throw it out there.

I'm that good.

cob

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.54/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 07:31:53 PM »
It fits a general principle of Christianity to make women either a virgin or whore when women, like men, are much closer to the middle.

This is just untrue.

Provide counter examples.  

How many?

You are making a claim and asking me to disprove you.  That's fine.

I'm waiting...

So am I.

cob

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.54/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 07:35:57 PM »
It fits a general principle of Christianity to make women either a virgin or whore when women, like men, are much closer to the middle.

This is just untrue.

Provide counter examples.  

How many?

You are making a claim and asking me to disprove you.  That's fine.

I'm waiting...

So am I.

You should supply the number of examples you feel is sufficient for your side of the debate.

How many do you find acceptable?  This is a fair question.

Achilles

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 07:36:16 PM »
I have a question: if the entire Christian tradition is based upon pagan rituals and if it is true that the bible was organized by a pagan (or once pagan king) and if jesus is not devine, which seems to be a central tenant of christianity (or am I wrong?), isn't the entire religion debunked ?

cob

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.54/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 07:37:56 PM »
Post a reasonable number and I'll check it tomorrow.  Also, if you care to back up your claim, that would be nice.  :)

cob

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.54/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 07:46:19 PM »
Post a reasonable number and I'll check it tomorrow.  Also, if you care to back up your claim, that would be nice.  :)

Dude...you need to prove your point.  I don't need to help you.

Mary Magdalene is a whore.
Mary, the mother of Jesus, is a virgin. 

There you go.

You forgot "therefore..."

It fits a general principle of Christianity to make women either a virgin or whore...

So if two examples are good enough for your conclusion.  Three counterexamples should be sufficient to defeat it.

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 08:00:43 PM »
Hey ... don't forget it's woman's fault we're in this mess, with that damn apple and all.

STFU...Adam could've thrown the apple aside, thought for himself and said no!

This is a complete waste of time...

Even if Christianity is a complete and total unmitigable farce, people have a vested interest in avoiding this realization.  

Those who worship the religion would not like to think that every Sunday of their entire life has been wasted.  Moreover, most religious people see the religion as a parental figure.  It's like finding out your father is an axe murderer - even if you see unquestionable evidence, you will refuse to believe it.  And it is a lot easier to deny it if you have an entire congregation disbelieving with you.

And those who are in power (religious, economic, political, whatever) know that it's easier to keep people in line if they believe in an invisible force that will punish wrongdoing post-death.  And they are much easier to manipulate.  For instance, Bush never would have been elected even once if he hadn't been able to capture the vote of anti-abortionists who were manipulated into voting for any agenda that includes pro-life.

I agree!
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 08:13:18 PM »
Hey ... don't forget it's woman's fault we're in this mess, with that damn apple and all.

The way Milton presents it he probably did the right thing by acting out of love. HTH.

Milton is not in the bible though...(Note it has been a VERY long time since I read Paradise Lost) and people base religious misogyny on this fact.  It pisses me off.  Eve didn't cram the apple down his throat...he could have said no.  Whatever is reasons for not...it was his choice not to.

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 08:26:24 PM »

The way Milton presents it he probably did the right thing by acting out of love. HTH.

Milton is not in the bible though...(Note it has been a VERY long time since I read Paradise Lost) and people base religious misogyny on this fact.  It pisses me off.  Eve didn't cram the apple down his throat...he could have said no.  Whatever is reasons for not...it was his choice not to.

A - Milton should be the authoritative Christian text
B - Oh right, I kind of forgot about that.  I'm not a fan of religion for that reason (not just specific to misogyny, but all of the religious idiocy).

I'm going to reread Milton...I haven't touched it since HS english...
Modern fundementalist christianity is crap but I do think individual spirituality is important..."Its not important what you have faith in, its that you have faith"