Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3 Xanax too few.  (Read 9240 times)

jgruber

Re: 3 Xanax too few.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 12:40:33 PM »
Well, my plumber said that my grocer can sue you for saying that.

:)

No I do not have a pharm degree. i just read a lot.  i also want to make clear i was not giving medical advice here, just pointing out factual inacuraccies in this guys statements.

its actually true that benzos can cause very severe physical addiction.  but in order to become physically addicted you would have to take them regularly over an exented period of time.  but that is not how these drugs are prescribed and the way this guy described it would leave one to believe that if you take a valium, you will have a desire to keep taking them, which certainly is not the case for the vast majority of people.

anyway, its just a pet peeve of mine when i see people giving unqualified medical/legal advice.

HatchetHarry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 11:55:45 PM »
Judging the drugs by the schedules they are under is absolutely retarded.  Marijuana and LSD are both schedule 1 drugs so that means they are highly addictive and dangerous!

hah yeah thats a bunch of BS

If your going to take anything before the test make it an adderall or ritalin or both and you will be focused.

Lydia

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.5/170/Penn
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kiwigrrl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 04:30:57 PM »
If you know you'll have troubling sleeping, I'd definitely recommend taking something - Xanax, Tylenol PM, whatever works, the night before.  Take it at like 7 or 8, you'll be out by 9 or 10 and it should be out of your system by the following morning.

I have really bad anxiety and have taken Xanax on several occasions, to help me sleep and to help me get on a plane without having a panic attack.  I could not fly without it, other than that, I don't think I qualify as an addict.  ;)
Vote Kerry Nov. 2! Send Bush to Mars in 2004!

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 07:01:43 PM »
other than that, I don't think I qualify as an addict.  ;)

ya know, the first step is admitting u have a problem.... :-*
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

nathanielmark

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 07:02:07 PM »

If your going to take anything before the test make it an adderall or ritalin or both and you will be focused.

this is very bad advice.

ktuluorion

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2004, 10:40:38 AM »
Valium is actually a CIII.  ;)  And to the guy who suggested adderall, that is a CII, which is a narcotic.

do you have an MD or PharmD next to your name?  If not you probably should not be dispensing medical advice.  additionally, you are mistaken on a lot of things here.  Benzos are schedule 4 drugs, which indicates a very low potential of abuse.  though that does not mean some ppl wont abuse them, generally people who dont feel the need to say drink booze around the clock can probably take them without getting addicted.

also, you call klonopin a "low-level benzo".  this is also a mischaracterization.  klonopin has a long half-life and if anything, would cause someone to have residual effects while trying to take the LSAT.

in other words, you are talking straight out your arse!

Medication can certainly be helpfull in quelling any symptoms of anxiety that might interfere with getting a good nights sleep on the evening before the exam; however, you should really stay away from taking those fast acting benzodiazapines.  Xanax, Ativan and Valium are some of the most addictive drugs on the market. It has been reported that many people who take these medications often experience an increase in their baseline anxiety level after the effect of the drug wears off; thus, taking the medication starts a vicious circle which may ultimately lead to physical and psychological dependence.  Furthermore, if you come down from the effects of any one of the aforementioned drugs durring the exam, it is most unlikely that you will perform at your highest level, and you might just have a full flown panic attack if things start to go awry.  The reason why you were "way too nervous" durring the test was probably because you were coming off the Xanax.  Talk to your doctor about non-benzodiazapine sleep aids, such as Ambien, or lower level Benzodiazapines such as Klonopin. Either one of these medications should be able to allow you to relax enough to get some sleep without producing that awful overly anxious rebound effect that those stronger benzodiazapines are reknown for.  Good Luck. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2004, 10:45:39 AM »
WRONG.

valium is C4.  and C2 does not mean something is narcotic.  narcotics are, by definition, members of the opiate class.  C2 means a drug is highly regulated and has a high propensity for abuse.  stimulants, oxycodone are examples of C2.

Valium is actually a CIII.  ;)  And to the guy who suggested adderall, that is a CII, which is a narcotic.

do you have an MD or PharmD next to your name?  If not you probably should not be dispensing medical advice.  additionally, you are mistaken on a lot of things here.  Benzos are schedule 4 drugs, which indicates a very low potential of abuse.  though that does not mean some ppl wont abuse them, generally people who dont feel the need to say drink booze around the clock can probably take them without getting addicted.

also, you call klonopin a "low-level benzo".  this is also a mischaracterization.  klonopin has a long half-life and if anything, would cause someone to have residual effects while trying to take the LSAT.

in other words, you are talking straight out your arse!

Medication can certainly be helpfull in quelling any symptoms of anxiety that might interfere with getting a good nights sleep on the evening before the exam; however, you should really stay away from taking those fast acting benzodiazapines.  Xanax, Ativan and Valium are some of the most addictive drugs on the market. It has been reported that many people who take these medications often experience an increase in their baseline anxiety level after the effect of the drug wears off; thus, taking the medication starts a vicious circle which may ultimately lead to physical and psychological dependence.  Furthermore, if you come down from the effects of any one of the aforementioned drugs durring the exam, it is most unlikely that you will perform at your highest level, and you might just have a full flown panic attack if things start to go awry.  The reason why you were "way too nervous" durring the test was probably because you were coming off the Xanax.  Talk to your doctor about non-benzodiazapine sleep aids, such as Ambien, or lower level Benzodiazapines such as Klonopin. Either one of these medications should be able to allow you to relax enough to get some sleep without producing that awful overly anxious rebound effect that those stronger benzodiazapines are reknown for.  Good Luck. 

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2004, 03:59:51 AM »
No I do not have a pharm degree. i just read a lot.  i also want to make clear i was not giving medical advice here, just pointing out factual inacuraccies in this guys statements.

its actually true that benzos can cause very severe physical addiction.  but in order to become physically addicted you would have to take them regularly over an exented period of time.  but that is not how these drugs are prescribed and the way this guy described it would leave one to believe that if you take a valium, you will have a desire to keep taking them, which certainly is not the case for the vast majority of people.

anyway, its just a pet peeve of mine when i see people giving unqualified medical/legal advice.

Green, I am not going to say you are wrong, but you can't generalize that benzo's are not prescribed on a regualr basis.  It depends on the indication.  I have been on benzo's everyday of my life since I was 20, and have never become physically addicted to them.  This is not saying that some don't.  Normally, according to my shrink, if you have been taking them for a long time the chemicals are no longer physically affecting you.  This is very common especially when after several years on a daily dose, a patient never asks for an increase in dosage.  That would be a sure sign of tolerance and addiction if they asked for a higher dose.  From what my doctor says, "most' people who use benzo's on a daily basis become psychologically addicted to it", meaning if the benzo was substituted with a placebo, the patient wouldn't notice any difference.  I hated when he said that, because now I always wonder if I am being experimented on with benzo's whenever I get a refill.  Just knowing that i take that little green pill makes me feel better, even though it really is doing anything chemically to reduce anxiety.  My next door neighbor is exactly like me.  She takes her benzo once in the morning, and unless she remembers she forgot to take it, she is fine.
If she knows she forgot, she will take a bus home just to take that pill, and bus back to work.  A psychological addiction is much easier to stop because you can just try another form of benzo, if it comes to that. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

LegallyNat

• MSN Messenger - n_steiner7@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Niomi1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 10:48:42 AM »
For those of you who are planning to take adderall or ritalin before the test, just take one before a practice test because you never know how your body will react to them. also, i did that and my score was not better than the score i got without taking anything on my practice tests, so this whole taking drugs thing is really a wasted discussion, i think.