Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3 Xanax too few.  (Read 9149 times)

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
3 Xanax too few.
« on: January 29, 2004, 10:22:07 PM »
I'm naturally a nervous person, and the first time I took the LSAT I was unable to sleep for three days before the test. So when I went in to take the test I didn't fall asleep, but I did feel like I was in a dream; I would look up from my test and realize that I had been spending 5 minutes on each question. The true nightmare portion of the test was the logic games section, in which I think I got 6 out of 24 right. I completely panicked and spent most of my time frantically drawing those damn diagrams that we come to hate so much. Thankfully (I was tired not deranged), I cancelled my score, and retook the test. The second time I discovered the solution to my sleeping problem: Xanax. I took three of them the night before the test, and even though I didn't sleep very much the day before, I slept enough otherwise to function adequately. Was still way too nervous though.

pbc

• View Profile
Re: 3 Xanax too few.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 03:44:29 PM »
Medication can certainly be helpfull in quelling any symptoms of anxiety that might interfere with getting a good nights sleep on the evening before the exam; however, you should really stay away from taking those fast acting benzodiazapines.  Xanax, Ativan and Valium are some of the most addictive drugs on the market. It has been reported that many people who take these medications often experience an increase in their baseline anxiety level after the effect of the drug wears off; thus, taking the medication starts a vicious circle which may ultimately lead to physical and psychological dependence.  Furthermore, if you come down from the effects of any one of the aforementioned drugs durring the exam, it is most unlikely that you will perform at your highest level, and you might just have a full flown panic attack if things start to go awry.  The reason why you were "way too nervous" durring the test was probably because you were coming off the Xanax.  Talk to your doctor about non-benzodiazapine sleep aids, such as Ambien, or lower level Benzodiazapines such as Klonopin. Either one of these medications should be able to allow you to relax enough to get some sleep without producing that awful overly anxious rebound effect that those stronger benzodiazapines are reknown for.  Good Luck. 

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 10:35:53 AM »
If you take something to help you sleep the night before, take it early in the evening so that it will be well out of your system by the time you take the test.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 10:55:19 AM »
if you use ritalin and take an exam, look at your score...lol i didn't do it, but my friends did and their scores DID go up

mailtime

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 12:37:58 PM »
take an aderol (apelling) like 30 mintues before the test starts, but be cautious not to take too long on each question.  which happen to me because the drug makes over analyze things in some cases but overall i found it helpful and i plan on abusing it through law school.  mixing it with liquor on occasions.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 07:54:12 PM »
I found that intoxication AFTER the test was quite helpful. 

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 10:23:29 PM »
Why not go natural?  Have lots of sex the night before the test (but make sure you are careful so that you aren't worried about the consequences during the test :-) ) you get endorphins and a good nights sleep.  And maybe some free drinks after you are done with the test!

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 09:24:34 AM »
do you have an MD or PharmD next to your name?  If not you probably should not be dispensing medical advice.  additionally, you are mistaken on a lot of things here.  Benzos are schedule 4 drugs, which indicates a very low potential of abuse.  though that does not mean some ppl wont abuse them, generally people who dont feel the need to say drink booze around the clock can probably take them without getting addicted.

also, you call klonopin a "low-level benzo".  this is also a mischaracterization.  klonopin has a long half-life and if anything, would cause someone to have residual effects while trying to take the LSAT.

in other words, you are talking straight out your arse!

Medication can certainly be helpfull in quelling any symptoms of anxiety that might interfere with getting a good nights sleep on the evening before the exam; however, you should really stay away from taking those fast acting benzodiazapines.  Xanax, Ativan and Valium are some of the most addictive drugs on the market. It has been reported that many people who take these medications often experience an increase in their baseline anxiety level after the effect of the drug wears off; thus, taking the medication starts a vicious circle which may ultimately lead to physical and psychological dependence.  Furthermore, if you come down from the effects of any one of the aforementioned drugs durring the exam, it is most unlikely that you will perform at your highest level, and you might just have a full flown panic attack if things start to go awry.  The reason why you were "way too nervous" durring the test was probably because you were coming off the Xanax.  Talk to your doctor about non-benzodiazapine sleep aids, such as Ambien, or lower level Benzodiazapines such as Klonopin. Either one of these medications should be able to allow you to relax enough to get some sleep without producing that awful overly anxious rebound effect that those stronger benzodiazapines are reknown for.  Good Luck. 

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 12:02:47 PM »
nathaniel - You never stop to amaze me with your knowledge. Do you have a pharm degree? If not, kudos to you for even knowing this stuff.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

nathanielmark

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 12:31:04 PM »
No I do not have a pharm degree. i just read a lot.  i also want to make clear i was not giving medical advice here, just pointing out factual inacuraccies in this guys statements.

its actually true that benzos can cause very severe physical addiction.  but in order to become physically addicted you would have to take them regularly over an exented period of time.  but that is not how these drugs are prescribed and the way this guy described it would leave one to believe that if you take a valium, you will have a desire to keep taking them, which certainly is not the case for the vast majority of people.

anyway, its just a pet peeve of mine when i see people giving unqualified medical/legal advice.