Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Latest Cosby Comments  (Read 9143 times)

WarrenG

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me
    • MSN Messenger - WarrenG24@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Latest Cosby Comments
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:06:31 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/

1) Does the man have pink eye?
2) I agree with alot of what he has to say; I don't agree with how he's saying it.  I think the way he makes these comments is condescending and engenders defensiveness amongst the perpetrators instead of real change.
"That which we believe to be real becomes real in it's consequences."

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Cosby Comments
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 12:12:22 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/

1) Does the man have pink eye?
2) I agree with alot of what he has to say; I don't agree with how he's saying it.  I think the way he makes these comments is condescending and engenders defensiveness amongst the perpetrators instead of real change.

Cosby is the best.  How do you want him to say it Iskinder?  He's a tired old black man watching the youth of today perverting his "culture."

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 12:21:53 PM »
Black people don't like being told about ourselves, period, there is no way to say it that makes it easier to swallow. It's high time we accepted some responsibility for what's going on in our communities.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

Slow Blues

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 12:27:47 PM »
ok, what did he say? I can't watch video here at work.

WarrenG

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 12:29:18 PM »
Put yourselves in a drug dealers shoes.  If some old guy who you don't know starts talking down to you about how bad drug dealing is are you gonna say, "You know what, he's right, I'm gonna turn my life around right now" or are you gonna say "Who the f*ck does this guy think he is" and continue doing what your doing.  By talking down to people he's made this into 'me vs. you' instead of the much more effective let's work together to solve this problem. It's effectively become a zero-sum game.

He'd do much better if he took a more collaborative approach where he says "You stop selling drugs and I'll use my credibility to get you a better alternative".  This way it's win-win and much more effective.

WarrenG

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 12:31:33 PM »
Black people don't like being told about ourselves, period, there is no way to say it that makes it easier to swallow. It's high time we accepted some responsibility for what's going on in our communities.

I agree that nobody likes being told bad things about themselves.  But I conpletely disagree that there is no way to make it easier to swallow.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 12:37:18 PM »
Put yourselves in a drug dealers shoes.  If some old guy who you don't know starts talking down to you about how bad drug dealing is are you gonna say, "You know what, he's right, I'm gonna turn my life around right now" or are you gonna say "Who the f*ck does this guy think he is" and continue doing what your doing.  By talking down to people he's made this into 'me vs. you' instead of the much more effective let's work together to solve this problem.

He'd do much better if he took a more collaborative approach where he says "You stop selling drugs and I'll use my credibility to get you a better alternative".

WTF--thats fine if someone wants to go out of their way and do all that, but I don't feel the need to censor the man who has probably invested more money than any of us ever will to different educational organizations from saying there are opportunities out there that you guys aren't taping into. 

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 12:39:22 PM »
Put yourselves in a drug dealers shoes.  If some old guy who you don't know starts talking down to you about how bad drug dealing is are you gonna say, "You know what, he's right, I'm gonna turn my life around right now" or are you gonna say "Who the f*ck does this guy think he is" and continue doing what your doing.  By talking down to people he's made this into 'me vs. you' instead of the much more effective let's work together to solve this problem. It's effectively become a zero-sum game.

He'd do much better if he took a more collaborative approach where he says "You stop selling drugs and I'll use my credibility to get you a better alternative".  This way it's win-win and much more effective.

He has been doing that. He donates his money and his celebrity for causes to help Black youth. He put positive images of Black people on TV. I don't think Bill Cosby can be accused of simply complaining about the problem.

The fact of the matter is, criminality is glorified in black youth culture. It is. It is! I need Black people to stop acting like it's not. It doesn't matter if you say it nicely or meanly, that *&^% is the truth. This touchy feely BS is part of the problem.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

WarrenG

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 12:40:59 PM »
Put yourselves in a drug dealers shoes.  If some old guy who you don't know starts talking down to you about how bad drug dealing is are you gonna say, "You know what, he's right, I'm gonna turn my life around right now" or are you gonna say "Who the f*ck does this guy think he is" and continue doing what your doing.  By talking down to people he's made this into 'me vs. you' instead of the much more effective let's work together to solve this problem.

He'd do much better if he took a more collaborative approach where he says "You stop selling drugs and I'll use my credibility to get you a better alternative".

WTF--thats fine if someone wants to go out of their way and do all that, but I don't feel the need to censor the man who has probably invested more money than any of us ever will to different educational organizations from saying there are opportunities out there that you guys aren't taping into. 

A few things

1) If he really wants change then he should be willing to go out of his way to do that.  If he's not then what is his purpose here?  Everyone knows these things are problems, what we need now are solutions.

2) I never said we should censor him, or even that he's not making a positive difference with the comments he makes.  I'm simply saying that his comments would be much more effective if he took a different approach.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 12:41:25 PM »

He has been doing that. He donates his money and his celebrity for causes to help Black youth. He put positive images of Black people on TV. I don't think Bill Cosby can be accused of simply complaining about the problem.

The fact of the matter is, criminality is glorified in black youth culture. It is. It is! I need Black people to stop acting like it's not. It doesn't matter if you say it nicely or meanly, that sh*t is the truth. This touchy feely BS is part of the problem.

titcr