Law School Discussion

1Ls to Be .... worried about grades? Worried in general?

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Re: 1Ls to Be .... worried about grades? Worried in general?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 10:57:38 AM »
Sounds good to me!   ;D

I can't wait for First-Year Ames; I want to entirely pwn some poor schmuck in oral argument.

you don't have to worry about the schmuck, you have to worry about the judges and how much they want to knock whatever perceived chip they see on your shoulder

Point well taken.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 11:44:39 AM »
I know it's been talked about a little bit, but wondering if anyone else is feeling any anxiety about this upcoming school year. Mine isn't overwhelming, but it occupies a good bit of my thoughts. Also, I'm reading 1L and I think that's making it worse  :D

some of my concerns...

1. grades. i'm worried that i just won't get it. i know everyone feels this way, but to a certain extent i think i've let stuff like that stupid sander study get under my skin. i think this worry is especially hard on students of color - sometimes we can internalize all the isht about not being good enough without AA

2. will i socialize with people outside of my affinity affiliations. when in new situations, we all tend to seek out what is familiar and comfortable - and for me, that's Black people (and Asian people and other mixed people). Given that HLS has such a large concentration, I'm worried that I'll kick it with Black people to the exclusion of everyone else - which is what I did in undergrad b/c I had so many adjustment issues. I'm going to make a conscious effort to spread out my affiliations, but I don't wanna become one of those ppl that I didn't like in undergrad (a Black person who didn't speak to other Black people).

3. my roommate is a friend and will prob be a study partner, and i'm worried that we'll get sick of each other

Anyone else nervous? Current students feel free to weigh in.

1. fukk sander.  2 times.  I wrote my law review article about the validity (or rather the lack thereof) of his proposition and blew it out of the water.  As far as grades go, you don't need to be the smartest, just the most efficient.  Sometimes, people can be too smart for law school.  Its often the true intellects who get so deep into the theories behind the law that they get beat in the head by the student who just learned what they were supposed to on the surface.  Suprisingly (or not) its the students who learn the least who are able to regurgitate exactly what the professor wants to see on the exam for the A.  In other words, find out what your professor wants and cater to it 110%.

2. good concern.  especially at harvard.  get to know everybody you can.  mad connections will come from that school.

3. have an understanding with each other upfront on the rules of the house

faith2005

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 11:49:36 AM »
i wanna read your article. send it to me. do you ever talk to our blsa prez--i know you know his name but i don't wanna blow him up online--he's writing/editing an article about aa reform right now.

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006, 12:16:25 PM »
This will be the first time I'm actually just a student and not doing a bunch of other life-consuming activities, so I'm very interested to see how I handle it.  My approach on grades is really just to do whatever I can to know my sh*t.  If at the end of the semester, if I can say I did all I could to know the material and be prepared (something I could RARELY say in UG), then I'll accept whatever grades I receive.  If that lands me near the bottom, then so be it.  My competition is against myself.

| J |

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2006, 02:50:52 PM »
I've been told that law school in some ways resembles an endurance test.  I don't know if that's true or not, but I'm just trying to prepare myself psychologically to endure the grind and put in whatever effort is required to excel.  I've been really blessed to have made it this far, because none of the people I grew up with have gone anywhere near as far.  Worrying isn't really something I do (my wife hates that).  Guess I'll just put on N.Y. State of Mind and put in work.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2006, 08:15:35 PM »
This will be the first time I'm actually just a student and not doing a bunch of other life-consuming activities, so I'm very interested to see how I handle it.  My approach on grades is really just to do whatever I can to know my sh*t.  If at the end of the semester, if I can say I did all I could to know the material and be prepared (something I could RARELY say in UG), then I'll accept whatever grades I receive.  If that lands me near the bottom, then so be it.  My competition is against myself.

That's what it is!!!!  This was my mind set, and still is.  My focus was just to know my sh!t, and as Coreene pointed out with the AA concerns, know my sh!t better than the next cat to shut them up.  I can tell you right now, that did NOT always land me the best grade in the class, but I can honestly feel confident in saying that I will be passing the bar with flying colors.

Faith - yeah I know A. He's good peoples.  He's actually going to my hometown this summer.  I'll forward you that article I wrote so you can take a look see.