Law School Discussion

uminn: asians as URM?

uminn: asians as URM?
« on: May 15, 2006, 01:59:07 AM »
Ok, so I know that in every other school asians are OVER represented minorites and that they don't get any preferential treatment in admissions. But minnesota doesn't have a lot of asian people who apply, so do they end up lumping asians into the diversity quota that all schools won't admit that they try to fill?

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
Re: uminn: asians as URM?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 05:03:04 AM »
I don't think so because I think the definition of URM is national.  However, you may contact the school and ask which categories they consider URM.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 02:19:03 PM »
Ok, so I know that in every other school asians are OVER represented minorites and that they don't get any preferential treatment in admissions. But minnesota doesn't have a lot of asian people who apply, so do they end up lumping asians into the diversity quota that all schools won't admit that they try to fill?

I don't know for sure either, but I am Chinese, and I got into UMinn a couple months ago with a $5,000/yr award. Here are my numbers: GPA 3.46, LSAT average of 161 (157,165) I think they might've taken my highest score.

I'm from TX and Minnesota usually doesn't get many students from TX so that might have played a part in their decision, too, as they are trying to diversify their student body in terms of attracting students nationally.

mikiimai

• me and my sis 18 years ago.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 02:34:25 PM »
NO.
Only place in top 50 where asian will be
treated as URM would be University of Alabama.

Well, U Minnesota law boasts 10% of asian in class,
which is much more than 5% asian pop. in the U.S. 
hell, I'm Asian, my number was 163 and 3.2, and  I still
got flat out rejection from U. Iowa, where asian are only 3% of class.

Minnesota definitely did take higher score on Cweb's case, and
any applicant with 165 and 3.46 will have decent chance getting into U Minnesota.   

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 05:22:49 PM »

I don't know for sure either, but I am Chinese, and I got into UMinn a couple months ago with a $5,000/yr award. Here are my numbers: GPA 3.46, LSAT average of 161 (157,165) I think they might've taken my highest score.

I'm from TX and Minnesota usually doesn't get many students from TX so that might have played a part in their decision, too, as they are trying to diversify their student body in terms of attracting students nationally.

Too bad I didn't apply to UMINN I have exactly the same numbers as you do.  However, I am caucasian...that would have been an interesting test case.

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »

Don't know about your situation, but I applied to Iowa and received their Law Opportunity Fellowship, which is awarded to people traditionally underpresented in law.  Doesn't that mean Asians are treated somewhat favorably in Iowa?

squilla

• UW Fall '06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 07:02:09 PM »
The Twin Cities as a whole have a rather large asian population, especially Hmong.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 05:46:08 AM »

Too bad I didn't apply to UMINN I have exactly the same numbers as you do.  However, I am caucasian...that would have been an interesting test case.

What were your numbers blocke123? I think Minnesota only takes the higher LSAT if the difference between the two is larger than 4 points. But yea, it would've been an interesting test case. I applied to 14 schools, and I only got accepted to San Diego (safety), Houston(safety), and Minnesota(reach). I couldn't even get into American U(competitive), so I'm pretty sure I had no URM status whatsoever.

The Twin Cities as a whole have a rather large asian population, especially Hmong.

And yes, there is a rather large Hmong population there. Not sure about other Asians though cuz there was no real Chinatown, Koreatown, etc. unlike most metropolitans.

mikiimai

• me and my sis 18 years ago.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 05:07:32 PM »

Don't know about your situation, but I applied to Iowa and received their Law Opportunity Fellowship, which is awarded to people traditionally underpresented in law.  Doesn't that mean Asians are treated somewhat favorably in Iowa?

may be because you are asian with amazing lsat score ;)
seriously though, i might had better chance if i had applied sooner.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 06:12:55 AM »

What were your numbers blocke123? I think Minnesota only takes the higher LSAT if the difference between the two is larger than 4 points. But yea, it would've been an interesting test case. I applied to 14 schools, and I only got accepted to San Diego (safety), Houston(safety), and Minnesota(reach). I couldn't even get into American U(competitive), so I'm pretty sure I had no URM status whatsoever.

And yes, there is a rather large Hmong population there. Not sure about other Asians though cuz there was no real Chinatown, Koreatown, etc. unlike most metropolitans.

Okay my numbers were 157 and 165 with a 3.46 GPA.  So like I said identical to you, except I'm white.  I got into American(competitive), Iowa (competitive), Kent and a few others but got waitlisted from Illinois (stretch), Wisconsin, Loyola(supposed to be a safety).  Got rejected from Indiana (competitive/stretch).  I would have applied to Minnesota but I didn't know they took the highest score and my wife doesn't want to move there anyways.

My wife is asian... there may be differences between different groups of Asians.  Vietnamese, Cambodians and Hmong may get preferential treatment while Japanese, Chinese, Korean may not.