Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ARIZONA STATE VS. RUTGERS  (Read 338 times)

saladito

• View Profile
    • Email
ARIZONA STATE VS. RUTGERS
« on: May 14, 2006, 03:45:01 AM »
What up peeps,

this is my first time posting.  I just ran into this site about a week ago.  I'm from Los Angeles and have to make the decision between two schools.  Well, two and a half.  I've been accpeted to ASU and Rutgers Newark, and I've been waitlisted at UCLA (I will do everything in my power to get into UCLA).  I need to make a decision, in case UCLA doesn't pick me up. 

My interest lie in immigration and tax/international tax.  I speak fluent Spanish and Portuguese. 

I can't make up my mind between ASU and Rutgers.  Rutgers gave me a scholarship, but with the cost of living, the bill at the end of the day will be the same as ASU.  Rutgers is ranked lower but seems to be more well known than ASU.  Two things really attract me to Rutgers: 1) Minority Student Program ("prep before law school, and academic support during my tenure there) 2) Federal Income Tax Clinic, which lets students represent clients before the U.S. Tax court in their second and third years.

ASU has an immigration clinic, but no tax clinic.  Phoenix is a rapidly growing city, and ASU supposedly has a great 'tap' into the Phoenix legal market.  Tempe is a safer city by far.  Haha.. I grew up in Inglewood, CA, and I must say that even by my standards Newark is pretty tough looking.  Nothing THAT bad, though. 

What are your thoughts on this?  I would appreciate any helpful insight.  I've been reading your posts and I always like to see the helpful and honest answers you give each other.  Thanks a lot for your time, and I hope to be of help to all of you in any way that I can.

Pt21

• AOL Instant Messenger - primetime211987
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ARIZONA STATE VS. RUTGERS
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 01:02:18 PM »
Well Asu is like the only aba approved law school in phoenix, i guess you'll prolly find a job pretty easily if you wanna work in phoenix

Towlie

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 06:40:04 PM »
What up peeps,

this is my first time posting.  I just ran into this site about a week ago.  I'm from Los Angeles and have to make the decision between two schools.  Well, two and a half.  I've been accpeted to ASU and Rutgers Newark, and I've been waitlisted at UCLA (I will do everything in my power to get into UCLA).  I need to make a decision, in case UCLA doesn't pick me up. 

My interest lie in immigration and tax/international tax.  I speak fluent Spanish and Portuguese. 

I can't make up my mind between ASU and Rutgers.  Rutgers gave me a scholarship, but with the cost of living, the bill at the end of the day will be the same as ASU.  Rutgers is ranked lower but seems to be more well known than ASU.  Two things really attract me to Rutgers: 1) Minority Student Program ("prep before law school, and academic support during my tenure there) 2) Federal Income Tax Clinic, which lets students represent clients before the U.S. Tax court in their second and third years.

ASU has an immigration clinic, but no tax clinic.  Phoenix is a rapidly growing city, and ASU supposedly has a great 'tap' into the Phoenix legal market.  Tempe is a safer city by far.  Haha.. I grew up in Inglewood, CA, and I must say that even by my standards Newark is pretty tough looking.  Nothing THAT bad, though. 

What are your thoughts on this?  I would appreciate any helpful insight.  I've been reading your posts and I always like to see the helpful and honest answers you give each other.  Thanks a lot for your time, and I hope to be of help to all of you in any way that I can.

I've been to both, and I gotta say that the slums of Jersey are far worse than the slums of California.

That said, I would chose ASU if I were you. I go to Univ of Arizona now and you will love Tempe. Great weather, awesome people (who are somehow all attractive), and, if you do well enough, you can have access to California job market too.

talker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 06:44:18 PM »
Without a doubt ASU. Much better school, many more opportunities (in NYC, you're competing with a ton of law schools). Quality of life is also much better at ASU.