Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

read below first

Boston University
 21 (65.6%)
UC Davis
 8 (25%)
Wowand135 can't make up her mind and therefore should not go to law school.
 3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Second thoughts on my decision  (Read 753 times)

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
Second thoughts on my decision
« on: May 13, 2006, 09:54:10 PM »
so i'm on the WL at ucla and still pending at USC, but other than that I had pretty much decided to go to BU. They gave me 15k/year, would be a good experience, and a high-rated school. But now i'm having huge second thoughts about moving so far away. it started with people telling me that it will be very important to go in-state, since BU doesn't have a lot of national pull. then i started thinking about how hard it is for me to make friends and all the great friends/family/everything i have here. So now i'm thinking Davis might be a better option. (i already declined hastings so no longer an option) It's only 2 hours away from home, still a good school, and in-state.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Second thoughts on my decision
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 12:02:14 AM »
Much of the difficulty of moving across the country for a job is negated if you have strong ties to the area, for example you're from California and your family is there.  Plus, BU isn't a "national" school like Harvard or Michigan or Cornell, but it's right there at that next level, and it's not half bad in California.  And second-guessing I think is normal.  Stick with BU!

I largely concur, although I don't quite know what you mean by "national"; BU has grads all over the country, although most of our graduates do tend to prefer the northeast, New England, etc..  BU has a great name that travels a lot of places, including CA.  There are quite a few people here from the West Coast, many of whom fully intend to go back after graduation.  As halfie points out, you already have strong ties to CA, so the most important thing to do from a placement perspective is to maintain them; this basically means getting summer jobs in CA (as a couple of my classmates are doing) and making connections in the legal community there.  I don't think you'll have any trouble getting CA employers to hire you with the BU line on your resume, and they certainly aren't as likely to pose the "Why CA?" question to someone with your background (compared to, say, the kid from Brookline, MA, who has a BU degree).

But ultimately, it must be a decision you're comfortable with, and if staying closer to home is what you think is best for you personally (Davis is a great school, too), then that's what's best.  But we'd love to have you, if you're willing to have us.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 12:15:22 AM »
i say go to bu, kick butt, and transfer to ucla/usc.   ;) 

...but you never know, you might really like bu and boston.  think of it as an adventure. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 11:23:10 AM »
thanks guys! i did visit boston and i liked it. i know it would be a great experience. i'm afraid of an undergrad repeat. i moved to santa barbara and went to ucsb then transfered to a nobody school just to come home. and that was only a 7 hour drive!

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 11:26:27 AM »
It's rough going to unfamiliar territory, but I think BU all the way.

donwario

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 11:50:35 AM »
BU.