Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are the best schools for tax law and real estate law?  (Read 7877 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are the best schools for tax law and real estate law?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 11:13:04 PM »
Georgetown and NYU are both excellent in both.

UFlorida and UMiami are also good bets.

UCDavis isn't bad... but look at UCLA first.

I love taxes!

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 11:16:07 PM »
LLM Tax law rankings: #1: Harvard, #2: U Florida. Haven't seen real estate law rankings. I'm planning to take tax law classes at UF before I graduate...

Actually, Harvard's not even in the top 3 for Tax LLM.

NYU is number 1, UF is #2, and Georgetown is #3.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/gtxrank.html

Ditto.  TaxProf is a great site.  And I've heard a few other sources say NYU is tops. But also remember that with something like Real Estate law, the best school in your region may be a better option.  I don't imagine NYU deals much with issues about North Dakota real estate laws.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 11:40:30 AM »
Considering I want to do tax (I have been in public accounting for several years), would it be unwise to consider going to UF due to their strong LLM tax program for my JD rather than a school such as GW (if I get in part-time)?  I know the LLM profs teach a lot of the tax classes on the JD level, but will that really translate into marketability in the tax world or should one choose the school with the better reputation?  Any thoughs?

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 12:09:37 PM »
You'll probably do just fine getting a JD at GW with your accounting background, and then in a few years, when your firm pays for it, go for a LLM from an outstanding tax program. 

But that's just what I on the street.  I have no evidence to back that up.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

Scribner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 09:22:40 PM »
Considering I want to do tax (I have been in public accounting for several years), would it be unwise to consider going to UF due to their strong LLM tax program for my JD rather than a school such as GW (if I get in part-time)?  I know the LLM profs teach a lot of the tax classes on the JD level, but will that really translate into marketability in the tax world or should one choose the school with the better reputation?  Any thoughs?

Definitely go to GW if you want tax. It's competitive (for some reason unknown to me), so it's best to go to the best school you can get into. Most firms view LLMs as for students who went to lesser schools and need a better name on the resume to get into BIGLAW.

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 09:09:27 AM »
UF's tax program is good, but to be honest, the kids in the program, well, are a bit nerdy.  ;) At least the ones I know are.
2 things we can establish: if you want to practice tax law, you will (eventually) need to get the LLM- though you don't have to do it right after the JD.
2) if you don't go to a well-regarded program, it's probably not worth your time.
If I were you, I'd actually do a year or two of the JD and try a federal tax class before I jumped head over heels into a school based on its tax or other specialty graduate programs. Go to the best JD school you get into and worry about tax llm's once you get your first grades back, since you might reevaluate your plans if you get a C in tax, bankruptcy, etc, and A's in property-
Good luck

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 02:55:39 AM »
South Carolina for property law. The law school and its top students are in charge of writing the ABA property law review each year. Now if the Gamecocks can send me my acceptance I will be happy.