Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Extended Time Program VS Full Time Program  (Read 713 times)

Old Guy

• View Profile
Extended Time Program VS Full Time Program
« on: May 13, 2006, 04:59:22 PM »
I am looking for some advice concerning the Extended Time Program versus the Full Time Program.  The reason I am inquiring is because I currently have a full time job but I have recently been accepted to a well respected Law School in Ontario.

My dilemna is this....I'm married, have kids, mortgage, car loans etc.etc.etc.  I want to get my law degree but I don't want to do it at the expense of my family.  Should I pull the band-aid off quick and get it over with or should I pull it off slow....

Any constructive advice would be helpful....

Thanks

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Extended Time Program VS Full Time Program
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 07:22:54 PM »
I'm an American who plans on attending Windsor in the Fall. That said, I find it really wierd that a "part-time" program at an American law school is 4 years and that the extended option at Canadian law schools is up to 6 years. Both fulltime are still 3 though. I dunno, that doesn't answer your question but it'd be nice if someone could explain on top of that.

However IMO, you should do the fulltime option if you're seriously considering a whole new career change into law. If you were just doing it for the extra degree, to work in a different dept at your company or for promotion reasons, the part time would be for you.

Old Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:54:22 PM »
Thanks for your advice.  It's appreciated.  The career change is a possibility but I'm not sure so that just adds to my problem.  I've talked it over with my family and they will support me with whatever I decide.  I'm very lucky that way.  Best of luck in Windsor.  I was accepted to Osgoode and I'm already getting nervous.  It has been a long time since I've been in a formal classroom setting.  About 18 years!!!! It is definitely going to be an interesting experience.  I guess I'm going to find out if you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 12:10:46 AM »
Wow 18 years, that's great. I always admire those that still pursue schooling though they're relatively successful already. Good job, Osgoode is an amazing school from what everyone says. I wish I had applied but as an American I wasn't really familiar with the schools or the deadlines there and I was lucky that Windsor had the jd/llb program open for me.