Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lost in a pile of LSAT-Prep books...  (Read 535 times)

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lost in a pile of LSAT-Prep books...
« on: May 13, 2006, 12:58:00 AM »
I'm drowning in all this information.  There are so many books, and information claiming to provide you with clear-cut strategies that will improve your LSAT score!  I'm inexperienced, I'll admit that.  I have never dealt with such a tedious task!  The SATs are less daunting in comparison.

Can you please advise me on things to purchase to begin my LSAT preparation?  What should I look for?  What are reliable companies?  What are some of the most notable, and EFFECT, test-prep centers?  How did you go about studying for this test?  What were your methods?  (etc...)

Your assistance is appreciated;

Thank you.

ans298

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lost in a pile of LSAT-Prep books...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 01:15:44 AM »
Take Blueprint. They're the best.

Rockie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 01:17:28 AM »
I'm currently enrolled in a Kaplan course but I also bought the Powerscore Logic Game and Logical Reasoning Bibles. They're essential especially if you're self studying.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 01:56:51 AM »
Logic Games Bible by Powerscore (David M. Killoran)
Logical Reasoning Bible (same as above)
Those are absolutely excellent sources. With the LGB, I've improved by Games score from 50% to 90% or better with a little bit of practice. I'm almost done with the LRB and while I've yet to see improvement, I'm confident it's already helping internally.

I agree I am taking the Powerscore class and I just started reading the Bibles too... what a difference. I have not had any preptests since I started the LRB, but I feel like I "get it" SO much more now. With a little time and hard work I KNOW hey will be a valuable asset.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Pirate Pete

• LSD Obsessed
  • member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 01:57:49 AM »
Buy all of the old LSAT tests from LSAC.
fair like the sun that shines in my soul when you're near, emily
Wow, Em is genius!

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 08:50:15 AM »
I had to giggle reading this post...he/she is drowning in information and then we drown him in posts...LOL

1) Powerscore Bibles for Logical Reasoning and Games (see above post)

2) NOVA Master the LSAT for Reading Comprehension --- also work through the game section but only after you have worked through the Powerscore games bible.

3) Get as many as possible released LSAT tests. Take them under timed conditions, go over them, figure out what you did wrong and what you did right.

4) After you have the basics down in terms of how to approach the different sections/question types...then focus on timing.

Don't believe in the quick fix methods that are advertised, there is no such thing. Preparing for the LSAT requires work and commitment from your part.

5) For a great review after you have studied, get the LSAC prep guide..it also contains three February tests that are usually not available anywhere else. Word of warning...the prep guide is very dense in the way it presents the information. It is a good review once you have worked your way through the other books.

6) Prep-classes can be very helpful BUT they are also VERY EXPENSIVE...if you have the self discipline then you can easily prep for under $200 instead of forking out $1,000-1,600 for a class. The materials that you will be given in a class are often not even as comprehensive as the Powerscore Bibles for LR and games. What you are given in class is a set of books with lots of released LSAT questions and tests. If you have the money and/or do not have the self discipline to study without knowing that your homework assignments have to be done for class. then I would recommend the following classes (full length):

1) Blueprint
2) Powerscore
4) Testmasters
5) Kaplan --- BUT ONLY the most expensive class...it is $1,500 I think, this one they revamped and it is more aligned to the above classes now...the others don't give you enough detail and do not go deep enough.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 05:14:04 PM »
I had to giggle reading this post...he/she is drowning in information and then we drown him in posts...LOL

Indeed.   ;D  I have to sort this pool of information.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll be sure to purchase these books!  I'll be covered in LSAT knee deep; I feel bad for my roommate.  I wonder how he'll get around in all the LSAT clutter.  ;D

I was actually considering to take a prep-course, in addition to self-studying.  I might learn a thing or two from the proctors.  Is this wise?  Is it more beneficial to my LSAT score if I sign up for one of the aforementioned courses, prior to my exam?