Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Improving the odds at HYS...  (Read 1231 times)

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
Improving the odds at HYS...
« on: May 13, 2006, 12:05:41 AM »
I understand that the two biggest factors are one's GPA and LSAT scores; however, I have noticed many applicants with stellar LSAT scores (165-175) and a solid GPA (3.6/3.7~) and still get rejected from HYS.

This upsets me.  I've been focused on doing well academically, but it is not enough - evidently.  I am really itching to go to the top law school in the country; what can I do to improve my odds, in addition to striving for notable grades, and LSAT scores?

P.S.  I have internship experience with a law firm, and I plan to continue that in College.

pandabones

Re: Improving the odds at HYS...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 01:05:24 AM »
I understand that the two biggest factors are one's GPA and LSAT scores; however, I have noticed many applicants with stellar LSAT scores (165-175) and a solid GPA (3.6/3.7~) and still get rejected from HYS.

This upsets me.  I've been focused on doing well academically, but it is not enough - evidently.  I am really itching to go to the top law school in the country; what can I do to improve my odds, in addition to striving for notable grades, and LSAT scores?

P.S.  I have internship experience with a law firm, and I plan to continue that in College.

Find something you like on campus, get involved in it, get a leadership position or start your own group.

Do research.  Write a paper.  Publish it, if possible.

Get amazing grades and then you'll have a shot at stuff like Rhodes/Marshall/Truman.

But in the end, it still comes down to LSAT.  Always neccesary.

BTW: For HYS, 165-170 is not stellar.  Nor is 3.6/3.7.

NYCK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 12:05:23 PM »

Find something you like on campus, get involved in it, get a leadership position or start your own group.

Get amazing grades and then you'll have a shot at stuff like Rhodes/Marshall/Truman.

Then what grades, and LSAT scores does HYS look for in an applicant?  I'm not seeking to get "cut-off" grades.  I want to be a remarkable applicant, with grades that have HYS proud to accept me.

I'll make sure I accomplish the other tasks on the list.  However, in regards to the "Rhodes/Marshall/Truman" awards, how do I get those?  It's extremely competitive; how do I increase my chances?  And, in any case, what do they look for in a student?

pandabones

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 12:08:34 PM »

Then what grades, and LSAT scores does HYS look for in an applicant?  I'm not seeking to get "cut-off" grades.  I want to be a remarkable applicant, with grades that have HYS proud to accept me.

I'll make sure I accomplish the other tasks on the list.  However, in regards to the "Rhodes/Marshall/Truman" awards, how do I get those?  It's extremely competitive; how do I increase my chances?  And, in any case, what do they look for in a student?

Remarkable?  3.9+ / 175+ with at least average ECs.  You need to spend some time on lawschoolnumbers.com.

Slow Blues

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 12:33:37 PM »

A commitment to something, such as hard scientific research or a study of some compelling social or economic issue. It's something you would have to be working toward already. While a Rhodes or Marshall scholarship looks incredible on your resume, it's not meant to be a resume builder. It's an invitation to come study and further advance you toward your stated goal. You don't just do it because it might help you get into law school. That said, it can't hurt to try. http://www.truman.gov/ http://www.marshallscholarship.org/ http://www.rhodesscholar.org/

I'm not an expert, but I think what panda said is right on. There is no shortage of academically qualified applicants to Yale, Stanford and Harvard. So while you might as well try for the above scholarships, I say focus on doing interesting and meaningful things with your time not spent in class or studying. The way you set yourself apart from the hordes of 3.8s and 172s is through volunteer work and demonstrated success outside of a classroom environment. And a 178 on the LSAT doesn't hurt either.

Da5id

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 01:56:01 PM »
Kid, worry about your freshman year, not law school.

Get a 3.9+ (it's not that hard if you're smart, go to every single class, and spend a good chunk of every weekend in the library), and a 175 on your LSATs and you'll get into HYS.

What that means is the only thing I'd sweat right now is pulling a 4.0 your freshman year. Too bleeding early to sweat the LSAT.

And if you don't have the wattage to get a high LSAT score, you're not going. If that's the case you're better off accepting it and going for the best you can rather than being a diva.

NYCK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 04:59:44 PM »
Thank you Stone Burner for the information.  It proved to be very helpful.

How can someone who's WLed at UMich for undergrad and currently Syracuse-bound be an LSD overachiever?

Holmes, you've got a lot of catching up to do before you can hang with 1337 of the 1337.

It's really simple.  I did not value my High School education; I didn't care about High School, I preferred doing other things.  I spent most of my hours reading Law Review articles as opposed to finishing my Pre-Cal homework.  Just because I am not going to Harvard College does not give you the authority to deem me incompetent, or unready, to "hang with" the elite, as you put it.  You do not know me; thus, what grounds do you have for demeaning my credibility?  None.

Oh, and for the record:  Some of Syracuse's programs outrank Harvard even.  Journalism, for example, at Syracuse University is ranked #1; Harvard is #2.

Kid, worry about your freshman year, not law school.

Get a 3.9+ (it's not that hard if you're smart, go to every single class, and spend a good chunk of every weekend in the library), and a 175 on your LSATs and you'll get into HYS.

What that means is the only thing I'd sweat right now is pulling a 4.0 your freshman year. Too bleeding early to sweat the LSAT.

And if you don't have the wattage to get a high LSAT score, you're not going. If that's the case you're better off accepting it and going for the best you can rather than being a diva.

I will make sure I get "the grade."  :)  In regards to getting the LSAT score I need, I will begin practicing early - it's not a problem.  I will study my tail off, and get what I deserve - an A, or an A+.

I'm just wondering what else I can do in addition to the fundamentals.  Many applicants find themselves rejected from HYS WITH high scores on both the LSAT and in-class.

pandabones

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 06:18:15 PM »
I spent most of my hours reading Law Review articles as opposed to finishing my Pre-Cal homework. 

LOL.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 06:54:24 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, spend less time worrying about what HYS will like and more time dooing things that you like.  They see through the applicant who doesn't care about anything but getting in.  For H, you really just need ridiculous numbers (175+,3.9+ should do it).  For Y and S, you need something special, but not anything in particular.  I would recommend that you do one or two things well rather than getting involved in all sorts of things. If you care about the community in some way, make it about that.  Do something.  If you really enjoy law review articles (umm..which ones have you been reading?  where does a high schooler get such things?), then do research and publish such an article.  With some special thing on your resume, + high numbers (GPA in particular for SLS), you have a shot.

But step one is to stop hanging around here and to start doing something.

pandabones

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 07:11:02 PM »
How can someone who's WLed at UMich for undergrad and currently Syracuse-bound be an LSD overachiever?

Holmes, you've got a lot of catching up to do before you can hang with 1337 of the 1337.

It's really simple.  I did not value my High School education; I didn't care about High School, I preferred doing other things.  I spent most of my hours reading Law Review articles as opposed to finishing my Pre-Cal homework.  Just because I am not going to Harvard College does not give you the authority to deem me incompetent, or unready, to "hang with" the elite, as you put it.  You do not know me; thus, what grounds do you have for demeaning my credibility?  None.

Oh, and for the record:  Some of Syracuse's programs outrank Harvard even.  Journalism, for example, at Syracuse University is ranked #1; Harvard is #2.

FLAME!

Harvard has neither an undergraduate nor an graduate degree-granting journalism program.

And Mizzou J PWN5 Cuse J 7 ways 'til Sunday.

As a high school senior, shouldn't you be out trying to get your hand down the pants of some two-wine-cooler lush?

I think he must be talking about the public policy school rankings, where US News does have Syracuse above H.  But that surely isn't the case for undergrad.

Agreed re: hand down pants.