Law School Discussion

"Reach" of SF Bay Area Law Schools

joespecial

"Reach" of SF Bay Area Law Schools
« on: May 12, 2006, 07:38:24 PM »
I have picked out major cities in the US, and graphed the number of grads from 5 Bay Area law schools in those cities. It gives an idea of the "reach" of the schools.

http://www.lawschoolstats.com/sf-bay-area-reach.html

As an aside, after doing this exercise, I am not entirely sure I believe in the idea of "reach" anymore. Look how many Hastings grads are employed in New York City, for example.

I also think it's hard to separate whether people who go to "national" schools move around the country more easily simply because they want to move around. I suspect that most of the people who go to University of San Francisco, for example, are types who want to stay in San Francisco.

Re: "Reach" of SF Bay Area Law Schools
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 07:49:39 PM »
exactly.  PPl on this board blow this issue way out of proportion.

Forget hastings... for example, most ppl would probably be surprised to see how many southwestern grads are employed in nyc... according to the viewbook i received from them in the mail, i forget the exact figure, but it was somewhere around 1,000 active alumni.  Considering Southwestern is about as far away from nyc as it gets... this number is huge.

the major point here is... whether graduates of school x, y or z end up in any specific location has alot more to do with self-selection than the "portability" of any certain degree.  this is exactly why im a fan of the "go to the best school you can get into" philosophy rather than worrying about where you want to work... that will work itself out in time one way or another.

joespecial

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 12:14:53 AM »
I know, that's how I feel.

And I can't believe people are not more excited about these charts, you people are not real nerds.

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 12:23:07 AM »
Bonkers, I was very impressed with your chart. By the way, did you vote in the nerd poll?

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 12:32:06 AM »
yeah this is impressive.  this point is shown in GTO's study on xoxohth, too.

more than anything it proves the bicoastal relationship b/t new york and san francisco.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 11:42:27 AM »
this is exactly why im a fan of the "go to the best school you can get into"

The best law school you can get into based on usnwr rankings? or best law school based on your personal perrogative and what constitutes your personal defination of excellence and success?

joespecial

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 01:06:07 PM »
Bonkers, I was very impressed with your chart. By the way, did you vote in the nerd poll?

Thank you. I'm not sure if I voted, I am probably a nerd though.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 05:05:14 PM »
awesome charts.  did you use martindale?

joespecial

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 09:53:01 PM »
Yeah something like that... L.A. is next

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 06:18:54 AM »