Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deployment at our southern border?!!  (Read 462 times)

Fidelio

Deployment at our southern border?!!
« on: May 12, 2006, 07:20:33 PM »
Bush is considering deploying the national guard to secure our southern border.   This is supposedly going to be addressed later tonight according to this article. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060512/ap_on_go_pr_wh/border_defense

With this latest move, Bush now appears even more hardline on the issue than before...

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Deployment at our southern border?!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 10:50:01 PM »
Well, according to the latest Harris poll, his approval is down to 29%.  He has to do SOMETHING, right?  (Especially since a significant amount of this antipathy toward him is from the right, which is unhappy with his stance on immigration heretofore, with proposals like the guest-worker program).
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:57:55 PM »
i think the national guard already has too much on its hands.

I agree.  I just don't think this consideration counts for very much in the Chimperator's political calculus.  ;)
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

Slow Blues

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 01:36:30 PM »
Well, according to the latest Harris poll, his approval is down to 29%.  He has to do SOMETHING, right?  (Especially since a significant amount of this antipathy toward him is from the right, which is unhappy with his stance on immigration heretofore, with proposals like the guest-worker program).

I'd wager a majority of Americans, regardless of political affiliation, would support tougher enforcement over a guest worker or amnesty program. I don't think the displeasure is limited to the right in this instance.