Law School Discussion

HELP!!

buster

Re: HELP!!
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2004, 08:52:30 AM »
So you can do light switches and that sort of thing? Cool!  :P

They can call themselves engineers all they want, I really don't care either way. But the fact remains that, on their resume, they do not have a B.S. in Electrical, Chemical, Civil, Mechanical, or other Engineering, and they sure as hell aren't going to get paid as much as bona fide engineering majors.

another point: Most schools now have a computer engineering degree that is separate from a CS/MIS degree. At my school, these guys took all the first two years of general engineering classes that the rest of us engineering majors had to take, and then took classes in computer hardware, architecture, and design the Electrical and Computer Engineering department. There's a difference between: people that have Microsoft certification and can troubleshoot Windows; people that have CS degrees and work at Microsoft as code monkeys; and people that have CE degrees and work at Microsoft designing the software from an engineering/architectural perspective.

The only thing I do hate is when I tell people that I'm an electrical engineering major, and they think I mean that I'm an electrician. I studied f-ing quantum mechanics and high frequency communications technology, not how to wire a house...

Exactly, I don't see how they can help build bridges, or provide support to a nuclear energy plant.  Somebody should have Ginatio chime in, I bet he is offended, unless I am totally wrong about his degree.  He does talk a lot about tech stuff though.  Ginatio?
What do you think about this generic trend of "engineers"?

Ginatio

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2004, 09:00:40 AM »
of course i can do light switches. that's the first thing they taught us in ECE101. jeez. you must be an MIS major  ;D

So you can do light switches and that sort of thing? Cool!  :P

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2004, 01:21:17 AM »
They can call themselves engineers all they want, I really don't care either way. But the fact remains that, on their resume, they do not have a B.S. in Electrical, Chemical, Civil, Mechanical, or other Engineering, and they sure as hell aren't going to get paid as much as bona fide engineering majors.

another point: Most schools now have a computer engineering degree that is separate from a CS/MIS degree. At my school, these guys took all the first two years of general engineering classes that the rest of us engineering majors had to take, and then took classes in computer hardware, architecture, and design the Electrical and Computer Engineering department. There's a difference between: people that have Microsoft certification and can troubleshoot Windows; people that have CS degrees and work at Microsoft as code monkeys; and people that have CE degrees and work at Microsoft designing the software from an engineering/architectural perspective.

The only thing I do hate is when I tell people that I'm an electrical engineering major, and they think I mean that I'm an electrician. I studied f-ing quantum mechanics and high frequency communications technology, not how to wire a house...

Exactly, I don't see how they can help build bridges, or provide support to a nuclear energy plant.  Somebody should have Ginatio chime in, I bet he is offended, unless I am totally wrong about his degree.  He does talk a lot about tech stuff though.  Ginatio?
What do you think about this generic trend of "engineers"?

Your future kids will still think you drive a train, mostly because you will tell them that when asked "Daddy where do you go everyday?"   ;D  It's just such a grat answer to tell a child.