Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Do you think an entire board devoted to AA is a good idea or a bad idea?

Good idea
Bad idea
Neutral

Author Topic: AA Board: Good or Bad?  (Read 10115 times)

redemption

Re: AA Board: Good or Bad?
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2006, 10:47:44 AM »
Yes, I'm going through my stages.

Screw that, drunken belligerence is the only stage worth visiting.  Why leave?

Sober belligerence is my specialty. My baby tars are a schtick I think that I'll keep up.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2006, 10:51:07 AM »
Sober belligerence is my specialty. My baby tars are a schtick I think that I'll keep up.

redemption

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2006, 10:52:27 AM »
Well, I agree with this. It's why I've changed my mind. I didn't think that such true racists existed outside the ranks of the isolated and uneducated. Now I know different.

I've found more unrepentant bigots among the ranks of the educated than among "regular" people. Maybe well-educated people can dress bigotry up in intellectual terms and theories that aren't seen for what they are. I think that less educated people tend to be more direct in their racism so they are easier to detect.

I grew up among uneducated racists, and their rationalizations are very similar to the racists on this board.

redemption

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2006, 10:53:42 AM »

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2006, 10:57:26 AM »

redemption

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2006, 11:33:20 AM »
Well, I agree with this. It's why I've changed my mind. I didn't think that such true racists existed outside the ranks of the isolated and uneducated. Now I know different.

I've found more unrepentant bigots among the ranks of the educated than among "regular" people. Maybe well-educated people can dress bigotry up in intellectual terms and theories that aren't seen for what they are. I think that less educated people tend to be more direct in their racism so they are easier to detect.

It's like ironed-in wrinkles.
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

2004-2012, Thou

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2006, 11:40:27 AM »
My goodness red, from spanking to this, we're hitting all of your proclivities in this thread.

finally

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2006, 11:43:44 AM »
I'm a newbie here and I'm nervous about posting after some of the really mean things I've read. My opinion is that the board is not so much good as it is useful, but not for the reasons most likely behind it's existence. I think the board reveals some posters' true colors and provides some insight into prevalent states of mind that most people wouldn't otherwise publicly admit for fear of being ostracized. I think it's good to remember that behind the masks people wear for the sake of being socially acceptable lies a great deal of bigotry, indifference to the plight of others, and outright hatred. This board is a good wake up call for me even if it is very demoralizing :-\

Agreed, for the most part.  I think some of the things that I've read here will truly make me into a better thinker and lawyer in the long run.  All of us should be better thinkers, at the very least, having read such a controversial topic. 

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2006, 11:46:45 AM »
Hey, I don't want people to get the idea that talking about AA on a discussion board is a bad idea.  I'm just wondering if devoting a board to the topic is asking for trouble.
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

2004-2012, Thou