Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for 1L's about exams...  (Read 788 times)

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Question for 1L's about exams...
« on: May 11, 2006, 07:43:54 PM »
I already ordered myself a laptop, it seems like it's a decent size, yet I really hate laptop keyboards.  I also know that how quick you can type can also make a big difference in exam-taking. 
Now my question is, did your school allow, or did anyone use a full-size keyboard with their laptop for exams?  I already refuse to use the touchpad because I can't stand it, I'll lug aroud a huge regular mouse instead of using the touchpad, but a regular keyboard would probably improve the WPM count a ton.

flydog

Re: Question for 1L's about exams...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 08:01:22 PM »
How small is the laptop you have? Any laptop 14" or bigger and even some 12s already has a full size keyboard. The only difference is laptops dont have a numeric keypad. My 12" notebook is half inch narrower than a full size keyboard which tranlates to 1/16" per key.

As far as exam taking my understanding of the examsoft rules is that no additional hardware is authorized in the exam room which would include mouse, keyboard, etc.

I think like most people I type faster on the notebook because of the elevated wrist position. My suggestion is you find a notebook with a full size keyboard.

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 10:27:37 PM »
How small is the laptop you have? Any laptop 14" or bigger and even some 12s already has a full size keyboard. The only difference is laptops dont have a numeric keypad. My 12" notebook is half inch narrower than a full size keyboard which tranlates to 1/16" per key.

As far as exam taking my understanding of the examsoft rules is that no additional hardware is authorized in the exam room which would include mouse, keyboard, etc.

I think like most people I type faster on the notebook because of the elevated wrist position. My suggestion is you find a notebook with a full size keyboard.

I got a 14", it's just the comfortability of a regular keyboard, I can get used to the laptop one, I was just wondering, any new keyboard takes some getting used to.  Are you sure about no additional hardware including mice??  I HATE TOUCHPADS!!!  I'm gonna splurge and get another MX510 or 518  :)
It's not a huge deal to type up an exam using a touchpad, but it still makes a difference, especially since my experience with touchpads is that my hand brushes it if I don't disable it and it screws up my typing.

flydog

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 10:52:18 PM »
Im not 100% sure. You should check with the school you will be attending as it may vary. My recollection when I was looking over the examsoft rules is they had some strict requirements like no screen savers, etc.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 11:12:51 PM »
17" tend to have full sized keyboard.

and no attachments? yes. because a mouse/keyboard will let you cheat. they sure dont trust law students

I think it's more about the software not being able to handle the peripheral equipment.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 12:45:30 AM »
17" tend to have full sized keyboard.

and no attachments? yes. because a mouse/keyboard will let you cheat. they sure dont trust law students

I think it's more about the software not being able to handle the peripheral equipment.

If that's the case, I talked to a tech support from my law school, and their recommended laptop included a floppy drive for examsoft, this was required.  But now he said that they still haven't decided on next year because they may be changing this finally.  This is hopefull, maybe they'll allow us to use a mouse now!
(That or I should just come into class with a full desktop!)

unknown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 01:07:32 AM »
That's a good question about the floppy - I planned to purchase an external floppy drive as the two laptops I'm looking at do not include them.  I should ring my school as well because it would certainly suck to be told I couldn't use an external drive during exams.

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 03:44:38 AM »
I already ordered myself a laptop, it seems like it's a decent size, yet I really hate laptop keyboards.  I also know that how quick you can type can also make a big difference in exam-taking. 
Now my question is, did your school allow, or did anyone use a full-size keyboard with their laptop for exams?  I already refuse to use the touchpad because I can't stand it, I'll lug aroud a huge regular mouse instead of using the touchpad, but a regular keyboard would probably improve the WPM count a ton.
Some terrible info on this thread...

I go to USD which uses Examsoft/SoftTest.

I just used a full sized keyboard and mouse on my exam today.  It's 100% allowed.  Also, at USD wireless internet is used to transmit the exam file, not floppies.  My understanding is that it's up to the school as to which method they use.
USD 2L

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 10:22:56 AM »
Some terrible info on this thread...

I go to USD which uses Examsoft/SoftTest.

I just used a full sized keyboard and mouse on my exam today.  It's 100% allowed.  Also, at USD wireless internet is used to transmit the exam file, not floppies.  My understanding is that it's up to the school as to which method they use.

Nice, you give me hope with your ability to use a full-size keyboard.

My school actually said that there are 3 ways the test is submitted, internet, another way and then floppy, and the floppy is just a crazy backup just in case all the other methods don't work.