Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

which would you get?

Nissan
Honda
Toyota

Author Topic: Nissan, Honda or Toyota...  (Read 3412 times)

M DOT

Nissan, Honda or Toyota...
« on: May 11, 2006, 07:06:04 PM »
so i'm def going to lease a car for school and was wondering what ppl think of the above brands, im favoring a nissan altima but have heard that a toyota corolla is a smoother ride (really doesnt matter though) and even though i'm not a fan of the honda civic i figure there might be someone out there who thinks its superior to the former makes

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nissan, Honda or Toyota...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 07:33:43 PM »
Honda seems to be regarded as most reliable, quickly followed by Toyota, and not far off but still farther behind, Nissan.

I bought a Nissan Altima a little over a year ago, only because it was very cheap for a used one, I didn't want to lease because I didn't want a monthly payment.  Make sure to check with your insurance (esp. if you're under 25), some cars make the payments go up much more, I know that I checked the Civic and it would have made my insurance go up much more than the Altima.

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 07:39:26 PM »
Honda seems to be regarded as most reliable, quickly followed by Toyota, and not far off but still farther behind, Nissan.

I bought a Nissan Altima a little over a year ago, only because it was very cheap for a used one, I didn't want to lease because I didn't want a monthly payment.  Make sure to check with your insurance (esp. if you're under 25), some cars make the payments go up much more, I know that I checked the Civic and it would have made my insurance go up much more than the Altima.

The only down side to a Honda (which really won't come into play at all for you b/c you are leasing a new car with a warranty) is that they are more expensive to fix. however, if you plan to buy the car out after the lease (which i really do not recommend) then keep that in mind

with fuel costs can i ask why you are leasing such a large car? i have an Audi A6 which is about the size of these cars and it kills gas. KILLS. something to consider if you have a longer commute.

M DOT

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 07:46:41 PM »
my commute wont be long, and theyre really not that big (mid size cars) and do well on gas compare to others, and im 5'11 so anything smaller isnt happening, same for dating if i guy isnt as tall then i just cant do it, i dunno

what about a jetta? i know since its more expensive in regards to up keep but the new models are sweet

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 08:55:13 PM »
the corolla and the civic are actually classified as "compact" cars, but the altima is "midsize". 

Correct.  Corolla and Civic are targeted towards much different buyers than the Altima.  Altima usually competes w/Accord, Camry, Mazda6, etc. - all midsizes.
2L

burr33

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 08:59:54 PM »
You're clearly interested in 'pure' Japanese cars.  However, I think you should give at least some consideration to the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6.  Every review I've read of Mazda have been positive.  Also, you might want to look into the Ford Fusion.  It's based on the Mazda 6, is competetively priced and is kind of neat looking.

M DOT

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 09:08:40 PM »
not a japanese thing, although im really not looking at american made either, if i had it my way id be in a saab or an audi, but hey im gonna be a broke student so thats not an option right now

i also have an inclination that mazda isnt as good of quality as the initial three  :-/

when i was looking online civic & corrola were listed as mid sized, although the altima is a bit bigger

M DOT

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 09:42:51 PM »
thanks burr

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 10:25:10 PM »
not a japanese thing, although im really not looking at american made either, if i had it my way id be in a saab or an audi, but hey im gonna be a broke student so thats not an option right now

i also have an inclination that mazda isnt as good of quality as the initial three  :-/

when i was looking online civic & corrola were listed as mid sized, although the altima is a bit bigger

I have the Altima and the gas mileage isn't as great as you'd think, definately a little more than a Civic/Corolla, but quite a bit larger and more comfortable.

I will echo what I said before, you will be a broke student, make sure to compare $lease+$insurance before you jump on it.  I paid $3,500 for a '97 Altima over a year ago, and I haven't had to put much money in it at all (I think one small part for $150).