Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Banks in New York City  (Read 319 times)

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Banks in New York City
« on: May 11, 2006, 04:18:50 PM »
I'm moving to NYC (Queens) on June 1. Any one who is/will be a law student in the city have any banking suggestions? I'm debating Bank of America with Chase. ???

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Banks in New York City
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 04:26:39 PM »
I'm moving to NYC (Queens) on June 1. Any one who is/will be a law student in the city have any banking suggestions? I'm debating Bank of America with Chase. ???

I don't particularly recommend either (but I'd be hard-pressed to recommend any bank), but I have banked with both, and I would choose Chase over BoA.  There are Chase branches everywhere, and their hours are more convenient.  Also, there is a Chase ATM in every Duane Reade (the major drug store chain in NYC), which often proves convenient.  I don't know much about the fee structure for accounts because my office has a special arrangement with Chase, but I think they're probably comparable.  I remember BoA used to charge ludicrous amounts.

I know a bunch of people who have had good experiences with Washington Mutual and Commerce, but WaMu definitely doesn't have enough branches unless there's one near your house.  One nice thing about Commerce is that the branches are open Sundays.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 04:37:47 PM »
I posted on the Students & Graduates Board in response to this...

Bay Area Bum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 04:44:56 PM »
i'd go with either chase, or citibank.  both have lots of branches all around the city. 

ScoopNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 05:12:48 PM »
Chase is fine, I don't particularly like BofA, but there's also Washington Mutual, which doesn't charge fees if you don't use their ATM (Chase charges fees up the ass!) or Wachovia which I don't know much about.
In:Northwestern, Emory, Temple ($$), Wash. U($$), Michigan($$$)! Cornell
Out: Columbia
Wait: GULC, NYU.