Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My USC Revolt  (Read 5302 times)

tabularasa

• View Profile
My USC Revolt
« on: May 11, 2006, 02:19:54 PM »
I've pasted below the text of an email I sent to USC School of Law admissions director Julia Cogan.  I sent it this afternoon and as yet have not heard a response.

Hi Julia Cogan,

My name is xxxx and I am an applicant to the USC School of Law.  After speaking with your admissions office, I was advised to put my concerns in writing.  I electronically transmitted my application and fees back in mid-November.  Since then, 24 weeks have passed by without a decision on my file.  USC was high on my list of law schools when I started this process half a year ago; however, as the beginning of the fall semester approached I was forced to make alternative plans.  I still had hope that I would hear favorably from USC, but I couldn't postpone my decision indefinitely.  I visited other law schools, put down a deposit, and made arrangements to attend somewhere else.  It is a shame that I had to disqualify USC from consideration without even knowing whether I was accepted or not.  I appreciate that admissions must be a very difficult process from your perspective, what with personnel changes and thousands of files each demanding personalized attention.  At the same time, I strongly believe that USC admissions needs to be more responsive to its applicants.  Indeed, I feel slighted that I have been carelessly hung out to dry for six months after painstakingly crafting my application to specifications.  From what I understand, your office guarantees a decision by the end of May which has not yet passed.  Yet, I had a reasonable expectation that admissions would reply in a manner consistent with my need to make timely preparations for law school.  Six months was enough time for every other law school where I applied, more than two dozen places, to contact me with a decision.  I preceded myself by applying relatively early in the cycle and have maintained almost superhuman patience—until now.  I would submit that we simply make a clean break.  To wit, I withdraw my application and request a refund of my $70 fee.  Although you may not have a formal refund policy, you must understand that it is only fair I should not have to pay for a service which, in all objectivity, has treated me unfairly.

Thank You,
xxxx

Towlie

Re: My USC Revolt
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 02:27:36 PM »
Awesome! I hope you get your money back.

doomkitty

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 02:29:31 PM »
I've pasted below the text of an email I sent to USC School of Law admissions director Julia Cogan.  I sent it this afternoon and as yet have not heard a response.

Hi Julia Cogan,

My name is xxxx and I am an applicant to the USC School of Law.  After speaking with your admissions office, I was advised to put my concerns in writing.  I electronically transmitted my application and fees back in mid-November.  Since then, 24 weeks have passed by without a decision on my file.  USC was high on my list of law schools when I started this process half a year ago; however, as the beginning of the fall semester approached I was forced to make alternative plans.  I still had hope that I would hear favorably from USC, but I couldn't postpone my decision indefinitely.  I visited other law schools, put down a deposit, and made arrangements to attend somewhere else.  It is a shame that I had to disqualify USC from consideration without even knowing whether I was accepted or not.  I appreciate that admissions must be a very difficult process from your perspective, what with personnel changes and thousands of files each demanding personalized attention.  At the same time, I strongly believe that USC admissions needs to be more responsive to its applicants.  Indeed, I feel slighted that I have been carelessly hung out to dry for six months after painstakingly crafting my application to specifications.  From what I understand, your office guarantees a decision by the end of May which has not yet passed.  Yet, I had a reasonable expectation that admissions would reply in a manner consistent with my need to make timely preparations for law school.  Six months was enough time for every other law school where I applied, more than two dozen places, to contact me with a decision.  I preceded myself by applying relatively early in the cycle and have maintained almost superhuman patience—until now.  I would submit that we simply make a clean break.  To wit, I withdraw my application and request a refund of my $70 fee.  Although you may not have a formal refund policy, you must understand that it is only fair I should not have to pay for a service which, in all objectivity, has treated me unfairly.

Thank You,
xxxx
Way to stick it to the man!

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 02:50:09 PM »
Wow, you've got balls! :D You'll have to let us know how she responds

john83

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 02:54:21 PM »
well written. i am anxious to see the response.

Bay Area Bum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 02:58:05 PM »
nice.  keep us posted on what happens. 

solstice

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 03:15:53 PM »
"almost superhuman patience"?

twelvehundred

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 03:34:41 PM »
I think this would be an interesting case to bring in small claims court. 

No case since USC stated "a decision by the end of May".  Unprofessional, yes, but no case.

AdiosLSD!

• Sr. Citizen
  • let me in!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 03:42:58 PM »
I'm very interested to see the response you get.

drama gal

• Sr. Citizen
  • D-Jet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 03:48:02 PM »
I bet they'll give you your money back and give you an apology as well.
The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.

— Sir James Matthew Barrie