Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR rejections  (Read 1453 times)

pepem

LOR rejections
« on: August 10, 2004, 03:15:52 PM »
Wow, just got a rejection letter from a prof about writing an LOR.  Anyone else of any experiences like this.  Please tell me I'm not alone.

WULaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LOR rejections
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 03:20:09 PM »
Wow.  Just curious what he said.  Did you know him well? I only asked profs I knew would say yes and say something good.

lexylit

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 03:21:33 PM »
i can at least tell you it's good news, not bad news. your prof could have faked it and written a lame letter, but instead s/he's being upfront with you enabling you to choose someone better equipped to write on your behalf. nice save  :)

NYKnicks

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 03:23:54 PM »
I don't think this is too bad, I actually know somebody who had their work supervisor write a letter of non-recommendation and then proceeded to send it to the school. At least he didn't decide to screw you, so all in all, its not a bad thing that your prof didn't want to write it.

pepem

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 03:47:48 PM »
Wow.  Just curious what he said.  Did you know him well? I only asked profs I knew would say yes and say something good.

He was my advisor, and I was in a seminar class on Psychology and Law with him senior year, which I got a B+ in.  The reason I asked him was because it was a class I participated in a lot, and we did Moot Courts and gave presentations, so I thought he could actually tlak about the possibility of my becoming a lawyer, and he would know more of my personality than a prof who only taught lectures.

Problem was, in a lecture class that he taught my sophomore year, i got a C+.  Don't ask!
So, he said when he checked back he didn't think he could write a strong recommendation especially in comparison of other students that he has written strongs recs for.  He said he wasn't ruling anything out, but wanted to see my whole transcript and my work resume (i've been out of school for year) before commiting to writing a LOR.

So, I guess I'm going to look to a prof who probably doesn't know me from Adam, but gave me an A.  Not the ideal situation, but that's what I got.

My other rec is coming from the attorney I work closely with now, and I know it will be a strong one.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 07:17:34 PM »
Is there any way you could go meet with him?  If you give him your entire transcript, and have done well or improved steadily, and you have a good work record to show for what you've done since you've graduated, he might be able to give you a recommendation.

If you can give him this, and sit down and speak frankly with him about why you asked him, how you felt you performed in the seminar, and your other strengths, he could change his mind.  I would definitely be clear, however, that if he still feels like he can't give you a great rec, then go for someone else.

Atossa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 11:30:47 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this site and very happy to find it.  Question: My manager sent my request for a LOR to our HR department, and they answered back that they generally discourage these.  Apparently the company has been taken to court before for an LOR for employment.  This is very frustrating as I have been out of school over 5 years.  I have won several awards and been quickly promoted at my present employ, and was really counting on my manager's stellar review.  She wants to do it.  Does anyone know, from an HR standpoint, why an LOR for School would be discouraged?  I understand the employment thing, but School?  Any advice on whether I should talk with HR about making an exception? In general, are companies allowed to prevent their employees from writing LORs?  They told her she could write one but could not state what company she is employed with. LOL, what use would that be?  "Hi, I am so and so from where I cannot say, but I'm writing to recommend Atossa."  Please help. Thanks.

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 11:37:26 PM »
atossa, that sucks. ask your recommender to write a letter not on letterhead, just explaining that she works with you, in what capacity, etc. all HR can do is forbid the use of the company name. the LS will see your company on your resume and figure it out. she can be vague about the work situation and still be very specific about you and your LS qualifications.

that's my best guess, anyway. i've heard of that happening but never seen it firsthand  >:(

Atossa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 01:54:10 PM »
Hey thanks Lexie.  I will try that approach and post the outcome. Next time I accept a job, I will be asking in advance if the company would be willing to give me a reference in the future.  I think it is a pretty serious consideration. 

pepem

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 03:01:25 PM »
Is there any way you could go meet with him?  If you give him your entire transcript, and have done well or improved steadily, and you have a good work record to show for what you've done since you've graduated, he might be able to give you a recommendation.

If you can give him this, and sit down and speak frankly with him about why you asked him, how you felt you performed in the seminar, and your other strengths, he could change his mind.  I would definitely be clear, however, that if he still feels like he can't give you a great rec, then go for someone else.

Thanks for the support, but I think I'm going to look to others first.  I don't want to convince someone they should write good things about me, but if I can't get anyone else, this will be what i'll have to do.  I'll keep you posted.