Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official Boston College Thread  (Read 14379 times)

nubova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Boston College Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2006, 04:09:48 PM »
I believe that the BC law name does carry well in the market, but I'm just curious about specific numbers with regard to 2L OCI. The 2006-2007 Profile shows 60% of the Class of 2004 employed at firms broken down as:
- Small (1-20)....15%
- Medium (21-100)....2%
- Large (101+)....43%

I'm assuming that only the last category would be able to consistently fund summer associates. Would it be reasonable to assume this represents top 1/3 OCI plus IP and those with connections?

The info is generally correct. The market is strong right now and getting stronger, so the stats could change to favor law firms, but at BC, there is a large number of students interested in Public Interest work, so the stats may stay the same as last year. I wouldn't expect too difficult a time getting a job so long as you are in the top half. At least, it hasn't been hard for the current 3Ls. 

UpwardSlope

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2006, 07:12:26 PM »
Has everyone received info about Stafford Loans? I still haven't received anything about the process to sign for them. I know BC wants us to use Access Group, but I haven't received anything yet about how to go about signing the Master Promissory Note for them, and I know someone earlier mentioned they received a packet in the mail. Has anyone else?
BC '09

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2006, 09:05:17 PM »
I just received an e-mail telling me they're missing a form I already sent in. Guess I'm calling again tomorrow. <sigh>

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2006, 08:32:11 AM »
Nuke,

They lost a form of mine also.  LegelP, I'll be a 2L ;)
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2006, 09:26:22 AM »
Form was one that had to get resent to me and only went to the processing center last week. I faxed out a copy to admissions/financial aid, so hopefully that gets the ball rolling again.

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »
Nuke,

They lost a form of mine also.  LegelP, I'll be a 2L ;)

DTK-

What was your orientation like last year?  When did you find out your class schedule etc...  Did anyone buy their books before school started or was it all done during orientation?
BC Law class of 2009!

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2006, 09:43:56 AM »
Orientation is a pretty cool experience.  You show up and go into 120 EW (which is normally 2 classrooms), and they open it up into a big auditorium.  Its the first chance you really get to meet everyone, and you get cookies (maybe I'm overexcited by that).  Dean Garvey will give a breakdown of the class, including average GPA / LSAT from undergrad, and mention the cool things that people in your class have accomplished.  This is always the interesting part - you figure out that you're going to school with Sushi Chefs, Olympic Athletes, Video Game Designers, etc.

If you haven't already figured out what section you are in, you will figure it out in the next week or two.  At that point, there should be a list of your profs.  The textbooks are listed by class in the bookstore, they don't send you a list.  Most people get their books that first week at the book store, which is ULTRA expensive.  I'd highly recommend going to the bookstore the first day, writing down the books, then overnighting them via half.com.  I just emailed all my profs today asking what the text is so I can order them on half.com, but as I would wait.

Cross your fingers and hope you get into section 3 :)  Again, I'll throw out my offer if you guys get to the city and want to hang out, let me know.  I had some 2L's take care of me when I moved up and I told them I'd pay it forward.
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2006, 11:46:34 AM »
Orientation is a pretty cool experience.  You show up and go into 120 EW (which is normally 2 classrooms), and they open it up into a big auditorium.  Its the first chance you really get to meet everyone, and you get cookies (maybe I'm overexcited by that).  Dean Garvey will give a breakdown of the class, including average GPA / LSAT from undergrad, and mention the cool things that people in your class have accomplished.  This is always the interesting part - you figure out that you're going to school with Sushi Chefs, Olympic Athletes, Video Game Designers, etc.

If you haven't already figured out what section you are in, you will figure it out in the next week or two.  At that point, there should be a list of your profs.  The textbooks are listed by class in the bookstore, they don't send you a list.  Most people get their books that first week at the book store, which is ULTRA expensive.  I'd highly recommend going to the bookstore the first day, writing down the books, then overnighting them via half.com.  I just emailed all my profs today asking what the text is so I can order them on half.com, but as I would wait.

Cross your fingers and hope you get into section 3 :)  Again, I'll throw out my offer if you guys get to the city and want to hang out, let me know.  I had some 2L's take care of me when I moved up and I told them I'd pay it forward.

Thanks for the heads up.  Is it a day or a week or a few days?  How does it work? 

Also-never underestimate the greatness of a free cookie :)
BC Law class of 2009!

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2006, 10:16:19 AM »
DTK or Nub -

Do you folks have any idea how the new 1L class schedule, especially earlier grades for 1st semester with exams before Xmas, will affect 1L summer job placement?

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2006, 08:29:07 AM »
Ya.  The new schedule is effectively gonna put you on equal ground with all the other law school students who will have grades by the time they are sending out resumes.  So, if you do good its gonna help you on your resume. 

I always felt that not having grades on the resumes hurt us in comparison to other schools, but that problem is fixed now.
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern