Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official Boston College Thread  (Read 14753 times)

gadfly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Boston College Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2006, 11:50:59 AM »
I am officially going to BC and I'm looking for a roommate as well. For those who managed to find roommates how did you go about it. I know no one in Boston and I'm not quite sure I'll be able to attend this week's event.

Try logging onto the BC site for incoming students and meeting people on the message boards.  There were definitely people searching for roommates on there. 

Do you by any chance have link ? I can't seem to find it on their main website.

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2006, 11:58:05 AM »
I am officially going to BC and I'm looking for a roommate as well. For those who managed to find roommates how did you go about it. I know no one in Boston and I'm not quite sure I'll be able to attend this week's event.

Try logging onto the BC site for incoming students and meeting people on the message boards.  There were definitely people searching for roommates on there. 

Do you by any chance have link ? I can't seem to find it on their main website.

It's not on the main page, you got an email about it.

The link is: 
http://webct.bc.edu

Your username is the first three letters of your first name followed by your last name and the number 33

eg:  johsmith33

Your password is your LSAC number

Hope this helps :)
BC Law class of 2009!

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2006, 01:48:25 PM »
The Boston housing market, officially, sucks. Additionally, brokers are subhuman.

Brokers are jackasses.

Example: I found a "NO FEE" apartment on Craig's List that I was interested in. When I called the contact number, I was given the shake down by the guy on the other end who wanted to know where else I was looking, how I would be paying for the place, how many other places I had looked at, etc. When I finally asked the obvious question - "When can I see the apartment?" - the individual said they were a broker and that they didn't want to show the place to me. They assumed since I was an out-of-towner and had been looking at other neighborhoods that I wasn't serious about their property.

By all means, avoid brokers. You'll pay ~$1k for a service that you could provide yourself if you do some research.

Couldn't agree more about brokers sucking.  I have started my apt search in Boston, and have had a horrible experience.  Granted, I am looking for a place with a dog, so it is a little harder, but it shouldn't be so much BS.  Count on 3:1 for your time....3 hours wasted for every 1 that is somewhat productive.

Here is how my experience has been.  On day 1, I had an 11 am appointment.   Guy didn't show.   After waiting 30 minutes, I left and I get a call an hour later...he had overslept.   Asks if he can still take me out.  I reluctantly agree.   Shows up 15 minutes late to our second meeting.  He has to stop back at the office to pick up his papers.   Then we go out to the 1st apt, he rings the bell and no one answers.   Idiot didn't have a key.    We move on to the 2nd place.  He was supposed to have a key to the 2nd place, but someone took that one.  So, we have to travel back to two other offices to pick up keys (15 minute drive).   On the way back to the place, he finds out one of them is already rented.  Then he remembers that another place won't rent to law students.  So, after 2 hours of crap, we end up seeing 2 crappy places.  What a waste.  Then today, I called a broker to confirm and he didn't call back.   Went into his office and he said he assumed our meeting was off, for no reason.  Eventhough I had set up the appointment last week and nothing changed in that time, and had even called to confirm (he said he got the message) he just assumed it was off.  So I sat there for 40 minutes while he tried to scrounge something up...didn't come up with a single place (it was sunday, and since he hadn't done any planning, couldn't get the keys he needed).

Anyway, this is hell!  Be prepared.   I hope I can find a place soon and end this.  Good luck all! 

That does it, I'm starting a thread to prove this is the worst housing market in  >:(

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2006, 12:22:40 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that I signed a lease today!  I am psyched, i will be on Englewood Ave in Cleveland Circle.   After all the hell I went through with the brokers, I ended up getting a place from a guy who is renting his own place (a "for rent by owner") that I found on craig's list. 

BTW, I just wanted to note that not one, not a single one of the brokers i dealt with (7 of them) had all the right keys for our apt searches...and we either had to drive all the way back to their offices or couldn't view the place because of it.  Unbelievable. Make sure they bring the right keys!   
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

gadfly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2006, 11:07:54 AM »
you guys let us now how your apartment search goes this weekend-I won't be able to get to boston until the 1st week of August so it looks like I might have a harder time finding a place.

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2006, 11:18:25 AM »
I'm in Boston now looking for a place and had a crappy experience with a broker this morning. Luckily the next guy we saw knew what he was doing and didn't treat us like fools. We found a place we like and will try to close the deal tomorrow...can't wait until this is settled!

Good luck Dave.

I may have to start the ABBC: Anti-Boston Broker Club, as a result of this thread. ;)

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2006, 11:38:05 AM »
Gadfly-

I would recommend looking on craigslist now, search for places with pictures etc... or call a realtor agency such as Prudential Unlimited and see what they have in your price range etc...Craigslist, in my experience, is generally reliable.  I have found all my housing in Boston thus far using it.  Including the place I have now. 

As for the Boston Broker problem---I think I must have gotten lucky that I had a realtor who knew what he was doing.  I got my place no problem, and I LOVE it.  Granted, it is more expensive than most housing in the area, but it's worth it. 

On a completely separate note---is anyone here going to the 1L coffee...and also, is anyone as excited about leaving work and starting school again as I am?
BC Law class of 2009!

schneri

• Sr. Citizen
  • BC '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2006, 12:23:20 PM »
Can't make it to the 1L coffee. Flying to Boston TOMORROW!  I'll let you guys know whenand where I find a place.

And yes, it will be nice to leave work, though I am quite happy where i am now.  the best part of work is that it (usually) doesn't follow you home like your reading assignments do...

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2006, 12:36:56 PM »
1L coffee here.
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

2004-2012, Thou

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2006, 01:00:41 PM »
And yes, it will be nice to leave work, though I am quite happy where i am now.  the best part of work is that it (usually) doesn't follow you home like your reading assignments do...
[/quote]

It's true that work doesn't usually follow you home like reading assignments do...but my job is typically mind-numbing and i'm starting to feel intellectually starved in a way that only delving into something like law school can satiate.

Besides, i wont' have to get up as early :) 

Good luck with the apartment hunt!
BC Law class of 2009!