Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official Boston College Thread  (Read 14625 times)

schneri

• Sr. Citizen
  • BC '09
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Boston College Thread
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2006, 02:35:12 PM »
Thanks. I'll keep it in mind. what neighborhood did you end up in?

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »
Figtown (Read: Newton)

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2006, 02:38:08 PM »
I'm on North Beacon Street in N. Allston.  
Nuke is in Newton, I believe.  
Another girl I know that is going to BC is living in the grad school housing on Comm Ave.

If you want to live out in the burbs, go with Newton, it's beautiful.  

If you want to live in a more city like environment, though safe, clean, and decently cheap, go with Allston/Brighton.  

BC Law class of 2009!

optimusprime29

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2006, 05:15:35 PM »
Hi guys.  Though I've only posted once or twice, I am also going to BC Law next fall.  I'm pretty excited. 

Myself and three other incoming 1Ls will be living right off Comm Ave. in Brighton.  Our plan is to commute by either the green line or the BC shuttle that picks up throughout Brighton/Cleveland Circle.  I think Brighton is a solid location.  We found an awesome 4 bedroom place for 600 per person, including heat and hot water.  Plus, since we're all out-of-towners, the management company lets us move in whenever we want (I think we decided on Aug. 20).  We found it through a broker, but he was most helpful and his fee is 1/3.  I've seen worse.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=optimusprime

BCDC

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2006, 06:53:46 PM »
Any more advice for someone who is looking for roommates at BC in the fall? Or, more specifically, is anyone out there looking for roommates in the fall? I live with three other guys in DC at the moment, and would rather live with two or three other 1Ls in the fall than alone. I think I'd be looking in the Allston/Brighton/Cleveland Circle area, but I haven't scouted it out that much. Tentative plan would be to look for a place in July or August sometime, with a September start to the lease.

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2006, 08:07:29 PM »
Welcome!
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

2004-2012, Thou

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2006, 10:43:08 PM »
The Boston housing market, officially, sucks. Additionally, brokers are subhuman.

Brokers are jackasses.

Example: I found a "NO FEE" apartment on Craig's List that I was interested in. When I called the contact number, I was given the shake down by the guy on the other end who wanted to know where else I was looking, how I would be paying for the place, how many other places I had looked at, etc. When I finally asked the obvious question - "When can I see the apartment?" - the individual said they were a broker and that they didn't want to show the place to me. They assumed since I was an out-of-towner and had been looking at other neighborhoods that I wasn't serious about their property.

By all means, avoid brokers. You'll pay ~$1k for a service that you could provide yourself if you do some research.

Couldn't agree more about brokers sucking.  I have started my apt search in Boston, and have had a horrible experience.  Granted, I am looking for a place with a dog, so it is a little harder, but it shouldn't be so much BS.  Count on 3:1 for your time....3 hours wasted for every 1 that is somewhat productive.

Here is how my experience has been.  On day 1, I had an 11 am appointment.   Guy didn't show.   After waiting 30 minutes, I left and I get a call an hour later...he had overslept.   Asks if he can still take me out.  I reluctantly agree.   Shows up 15 minutes late to our second meeting.  He has to stop back at the office to pick up his papers.   Then we go out to the 1st apt, he rings the bell and no one answers.   Idiot didn't have a key.    We move on to the 2nd place.  He was supposed to have a key to the 2nd place, but someone took that one.  So, we have to travel back to two other offices to pick up keys (15 minute drive).   On the way back to the place, he finds out one of them is already rented.  Then he remembers that another place won't rent to law students.  So, after 2 hours of crap, we end up seeing 2 crappy places.  What a waste.  Then today, I called a broker to confirm and he didn't call back.   Went into his office and he said he assumed our meeting was off, for no reason.  Eventhough I had set up the appointment last week and nothing changed in that time, and had even called to confirm (he said he got the message) he just assumed it was off.  So I sat there for 40 minutes while he tried to scrounge something up...didn't come up with a single place (it was sunday, and since he hadn't done any planning, couldn't get the keys he needed).

Anyway, this is hell!  Be prepared.   I hope I can find a place soon and end this.  Good luck all! 
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2006, 04:05:40 AM »
Wow, that sucks.  Good luck.
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

2004-2012, Thou

gadfly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2006, 09:42:59 AM »
I am officially going to BC and I'm looking for a roommate as well. For those who managed to find roommates how did you go about it. I know no one in Boston and I'm not quite sure I'll be able to attend this week's event.

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2006, 10:44:51 AM »
I am officially going to BC and I'm looking for a roommate as well. For those who managed to find roommates how did you go about it. I know no one in Boston and I'm not quite sure I'll be able to attend this week's event.

Try logging onto the BC site for incoming students and meeting people on the message boards.  There were definitely people searching for roommates on there. 
BC Law class of 2009!