Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cornell, USC, and Intellect Prop  (Read 317 times)

betty

• View Profile
    • Email
Cornell, USC, and Intellect Prop
« on: May 10, 2006, 03:38:11 PM »
I'm considering going to Cornell, but I notice they only have one course on Intellectual Property.  If I want to specialize in IP should I go to a lesser ranked school with more classes on it?  My other option is USC.  I've been seeing lots of comments on this site such as "USC is for people who couldn't get into UCLA and employers know it".  But then why is their LSAT range and starting salary basically the same?  Thanks!

Towlie

Re: Cornell, USC, and Intellect Prop
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 04:00:58 PM »
Call Cornell up and speak to the dean about this. See if there are other opportunities available you're just not seeing. I have a feeling there are. Also, ask to speak to a current student or a professor interested in IP work.

fakemark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 12:08:03 PM »
While having specialized courses and opportunities is helpful, I've heard that overall reputation is the most important thing. USC is not a bad option, so it's still not an easy choice. But if you went to Cornell you could supplement your experience with a summer job with an IP firm.

drpoker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 12:21:32 PM »
I found more than one course including a very interesting seminar course you can take for credit:

Intellectual Property, Introduction to the Law of Patents, Law of Branding and Advertising:  Trademarks, Trade Dress, and Unfair Competition  Seminar:  Intellectual Property Rights and Global Bio-Economics.

Overall reputation is more important, anyway. 

ArgentinaSoccer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 01:32:58 PM »
While having specialized courses and opportunities is helpful, I've heard that overall reputation is the most important thing. USC is not a bad option, so it's still not an easy choice. But if you went to Cornell you could supplement your experience with a summer job with an IP firm.

I agree with fakemark.  Go to CORNELL.  It's a no-brainer!