Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Minnesota or Vanderbilt? --UPDATED SCENERIO (See 1st Post)--  (Read 2061 times)

AdiosLSD!

• Sr. Citizen
  • let me in!
    • View Profile
Re: Minnesota or Vanderbilt?
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 12:41:12 PM »
I've lived in Los Angeles all my life, and I loved what I saw of Nashville and Vanderbilt.  Kiplinger's rates Nashville as the "smartest" place to live in the U.S. (Incidentally, they rank Minneapolis #2) http://www.kiplinger.com/personalfinance/features/archives/2006/05/intro.html  The statement about there being a snobby atmosphere couldn't be farther from the truth, I've never seen a university campus where the student body was as tight-knit and collegial as Vandy law.  The placement statistics are obviouslty in favor of Vanderbilt.

Wow that's some coincidence.   Cool list too.  Thanks for the link.

NP! As far as quality of life goes, I think you're golden in either city.

Tpie82

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 01:59:06 AM »
Wow breaking up your post like that makes it a pain to counter you specifically.  First, my last response in the BC thread was in absolute jest because the poster above me made the exact same statment with absolutely no support and I was pointing that out by making the exact same statement with Minnesota instead of BC.  If you actually read that thread you would see I have made similar arguments in both and have not endorsed either school specifically as to Minn/Vandy, though I will defend Minn against statements I do not believe to be fair.   

As to the stats.  You said in your first post "placement statistics obviously favor vanderbilt."  I responded "placement where?"  There is no indication you were just talking about Mountain West region.  When I quoted the 97% employment number I preceded it with "Overall? Minn is at 97%"  Hence, I know that the 97% stat referred to the overall placement(reading comp++), but since YOU were so unclear in your original post I thought I would break it down for you.  Trying to turn that around as me being unclear and not knowing the statistics even when I said "overall" is disingenuous at best.

As for your vanderbilt placement in those regions, I did not have those numbers.  Now that I see them, I think, hmmm so I was right all along and you just supported my argument.  I have said multiple times "neither school is getting a big boost from its reputation in the mountain/western region."  Look at those stats for those regions, neither is any good.  If you want to argue that the 6% lead that Vandy has (only in the Southwest region and less in the other) is "obviously better placement" then I'm not sure I can continue with you.  That is what? 8 students?  That can be accounted for in simple self-selection among students.  Neither school is helping him out in his desired region. 

Also to the other poster, I wasn't trying to be mean to the OP, I just stuck my tounge out at him.  I have devoted a lot of time to giving him advice I think I am entitled to that  :P

AdiosLSD!

• Sr. Citizen
  • let me in!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 02:58:57 AM »
First, my last response in the BC thread was in absolute jest because the poster above me made the exact same statment with absolutely no support and I was pointing that out by making the exact same statement with Minnesota instead of BC.  If you actually read that thread....

Hahaha, you're right, I didn't read the thread, I just saw your post and thought it would be something fun to poke at you with, I was attempting to be playful.  Everyone here gets their panties in a ruffle so fast it blows my mind...

As to the stats.  You said in your first post "placement statistics obviously favor vanderbilt."  I responded "placement where?"  There is no indication you were just talking about Mountain West region.  When I quoted the 97% employment number I preceded it with "Overall? Minn is at 97%"  Hence, I know that the 97% stat referred to the overall placement(reading comp++), but since YOU were so unclear in your original post I thought I would break it down for you.  Trying to turn that around as me being unclear and not knowing the statistics even when I said "overall" is disingenuous at best.

I wasn't being unclear, I was answering the question that the OP asked about placement in the Southwest/Mountain regions.  You were offering up "employment rate at graduation" statistics to suggest that placement statistics are not in favor of Vandy, and that because of that my statement was misleading.  I, however, was the one talking about the question at hand, regional placement, and I was correct.  ERAG had not been spoken of in the thread, and you simply lost sight of what was being discussed (reading comp --).  NOWHERE did I suggest that the statistics you cited referred to regional placement, I specifically noted that you were talking about ERAG (or overall, as you put it), and my accusation toward you was that you were discussing something that hadn't been asked about.  The irony of your sarcastic (reading comp ++) comment is comedy gold.  So anyway, now you're trying to be clever by rebutting an assertion that I didn't make, and rather than concede your mistake you've chosen to press forward by insisting I'm unclear.  Let me say again, my statement that "the placement statistics are obviously in favor of Vanderbilt" was directed toward the OP's "slight preference towards Southwest/Mountain region after lawschool." He inquired about a specific subject, and it stands to reason that my answer was addressing this, and your inabilty to accept this is unfortunate. 

As for your vanderbilt placement in those regions, I did not have those numbers.  Now that I see them, I think, hmmm so I was right all along and you just supported my argument.  I have said multiple times "neither school is getting a big boost from its reputation in the mountain/western region."  Look at those stats for those regions, neither is any good.  If you want to argue that the 6% lead that Vandy has (only in the Southwest region and less in the other) is "obviously better placement" then I'm not sure I can continue with you.  That is what? 8 students?  That can be accounted for in simple self-selection among students.  Neither school is helping him out in his desired region.

OK, it certainly could be simple self-selection.  It's equally possible that Vanderbilt students have a greater chance to be placed nationally because nearly 4 times the amount of law firms recruit at their OCI.  You can say that the numbers are too small to be meaningful, but however you want to label it "the placement statistics are obviously in favor of Vanderbilt" (10%>5% elementary math ++).  Given the difference in class size between the two schools, the percentages suggest that you are absolutely correct, Vandy would place 8 more students in the region annually.  While you contend 20 students vs. 12 students is insignificant, that is your own subjective opinion, and others might find the difference worth noting.  You can choose believe that self-selection is the sole cause of the difference if it gratifies you. I would suggest that Vandy's OCI advantage, as well as placing 10% of students in the regions he is concerned with as opposed to Minnesota's 5%, suggest that he would be better off attending Vandy as it would give him an advantage.

So, I say Vandy would give him an advantage, you say the placement numbers are too small to be relevant, the statistics are there for others to make their own decision, both are very good schools, and I'm sure the OP will be ok at either one.  Anyway, nobody likes to be jovial on LSD, it's a shame.  Everyone is so uptight, jeez...I want to buy you all a drink and give you a hug, but you're all so far away.  :(

UWHusky

• Woof.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 09:27:01 AM »
You know what? I have lived all over this country and weather does make a difference. People are going to argue with me but I can GENERALLY argue that cold weather makes cold people and visa versa. I am a Californian, but I spent many years in the South and the people there are awesome. Lastly, to get the job you say you want upon graduation, you will be stuck indoors studying your ass off anyway. So, do you want to look outside your window at snow or azaleas?
3.85 GPA (4.0)Major. No LSAT yet
Never to old to teach an old dog new tricks

happyhour

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 11:11:25 AM »
You know what? I have lived all over this country and weather does make a difference. People are going to argue with me but I can GENERALLY argue that cold weather makes cold people and visa versa. I am a Californian, but I spent many years in the South and the people there are awesome. Lastly, to get the job you say you want upon graduation, you will be stuck indoors studying your ass off anyway. So, do you want to look outside your window at snow or azaleas?

I grew up in the South, and I have lived in Arkansas, Texas, Louisana, and now I live in NYC. I have to say that the nice, friendly Southerner stereotype is accurate as long as you are white, Christian, Conservative, love guns, and of course don't care too much for women's rights. If this is you, you'll love Nashville and you'll find that the people there are awesome. If not prepare to be judged.
Accepted: Brooklyn, Cardozo, Colorado, Denver, George Mason, Minnesota.
Waitlisted: Notre Dame, Boston, Boston College.
Painful rejection: Cornell, GW, Michigan.
Long shot hopeful: Penn.

Bow Tied Up

• Sr. Citizen
  • they tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 11:18:39 AM »

you grew up in the South and have lived in Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, and NYC...does that include Nashville?  if not, i don't know how you can make your claim (which is just a bit over the top).

vinylisbetter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 11:23:35 AM »
I grew up in the South, and I have lived in Arkansas, Texas, Louisana, and now I live in NYC. I have to say that the nice, friendly Southerner stereotype is accurate as long as you are white, Christian, Conservative, love guns, and of course don't care too much for women's rights. If this is you, you'll love Nashville and you'll find that the people there are awesome. If not prepare to be judged.

Wasn't in the mood to post, but I got to call bull on this one.  The only places I've lived in my life are intown Atlanta, New Orleans, and outside of Asheville, NC, and your statement about Southerners is, from my experience, just plain wrong.  I have never lived in the rural parts of the South, or even the suburbs for that matter, but city living in the South doesn't even remotely fit your description.

EDIT: Actually, I do currently live in the "rural" South (outside of Asheville) and stand by my statements.

happyhour

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 11:38:01 AM »

I have spent quite a bit of time in Nashville, and probably would of agreed that it's not that bad before I left. From my experience Nashville is pretty bad, but I have distaste for being witnessed to or for evangelic retoric in general. Personally I got a lot of that in the South. I knew some people would disagree with me, but it's just my perspective based on the few places I have lived.

Ashville is awesome, by the way. But I think it sticks out because it is so different from the rest of the South. I would have a hard time living there now. It's just me.

Bow Tied Up

• Sr. Citizen
  • they tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 11:54:46 AM »
i think it totally depends on what circles you choose.  i was born and raised in Atlanta (in probably the oldest and most established area of the city).  and while it has become quite a melting pot of notherners and southerners alike, sure, you might happen to run into an evangelist at a coffee shop (which i would agree is unfortunate), and (s)he might try to talk to you.  but then again, LOTS of people strike up random conversations.

i think it's all a part of the culture.  the South is, generally speaking, a slower-moving society when compared to the North.  people will stop and say hello to complete strangers.  it's not at all uncommon.  at times i liked this, and at times i didn't.  living in Boston for the past few years (and frequenting New York), I can say this generally isn't the case in the North.  so I can understand why you like NYC so much and can't imagine moving back to the South, if solely for the fact that you don't like talking to people you don't know.

but the Midwest is also a rather friendly place, too.  i used to spend part of my summers in Minnesota (Lake Minnetonka), and the people there are VERY friendly, too.  at least that's what i get from my experience.

side note:  the girls in MN are tall, blonde, and gorgeous.  can't vouch for Nashville as a whole, but southern girls are great, too.

happyhour

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 12:01:48 PM »

I agree with pretty much everything you said. The South is livable and there are a lot of great people.

I have nothing against friendly, as long as it applies to everyone. I found the people in Minny to be pretty accepting, although it wasn't the most diverse place in the world. It will be tough to get used too.