Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do you have a mentor?  (Read 495 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Do you have a mentor?
« on: May 10, 2006, 02:11:48 PM »
I never thought about this before, until someone at worked asked whether Victoria (an attorney who has a similar personality to mine who went to my school and has been practicing for years) was my mentor.  We meet for lunch every other week to talk about law-related stuff, and she provides me with a lot of encouragement and resources that have been helpful.  I guess she is my mentor.   

I am just wondering if anyone else has someone like this that they go to for advice. 

Towlie

Re: Do you have a mentor?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 02:39:33 PM »
I sort of do. I signed up for this program while I was taking classes at Georgetown undergrad for a mentor for the summer. He works at the Department of Justice and we struck up a friendship. I don't really go to him for advice though, so I think the mentor part is over, but we still keep in touch.

magnumalv

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 02:40:19 PM »
Do parents count? My dad is my mentor.  ::)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 05:40:47 PM »
I am surprised that not many responses have been posted to this question.  A lot of the most successful people I know have mentors.   (And yes, your parent can be one)

Towlie

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 05:42:52 PM »
I am surprised that not many responses have been posted to this question.  A lot of the most successful people I know have mentors.   (And yes, your parent can be one)

This is probably mean, but my parents are my mentors on what not to do in life. Say what you want about it, but it has worked for me so far and I am much happier than either of them  ;D

flydog

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 07:27:25 PM »
All I can think of when I read this thread is the Seinfeld episode about mentors when George gave a speech about Ovaltine at the risk management seminar

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 07:43:26 PM »
I've had lunch a couple times with the CEO of a law firm who was really frank about admissions, law school, and the legal job market.

jazmine

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 09:55:46 PM »
I have several, and on the advice of a law professor I know, I am looking for profs at my school who have published in the areas I'm interested in.  It never hurts to have personal contacts with interesting people who can help you. 

metzger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 10:00:38 PM »
All I can think of when I read this thread is the Seinfeld episode about mentors when George gave a speech about Ovaltine at the risk management seminar

Me too. I posted the same thing in another mentor-related thread. I have asked people who are knowledgable in a given field for advice, and I consciously follow the example set by Vox Day, but I don't have a "mentor". Frankly, I find the idea quite funny, most likely because of said Seinfeld episode.

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 10:02:43 PM »
I sort of gained a mentor last September, but it's been complicated by the lateness of our relationship, mutual busy-ness and a move.  Still very glad for the relationship.
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr