Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what should I do next?  (Read 1071 times)

fulltimejob

• View Profile
what should I do next?
« on: August 10, 2004, 02:08:14 PM »
I started with really bad scores taking tests without any preparation and it freaked me out completely. Since then, I meticulously studied through MAster the LSAT and games bible and now I can do 90% LR correctly untimed and about 70-80% GAmes correctly untimed.Still need to practice grouping games more. I am hoping you guys can suggest another study material before I start taking prep tests again.  Should I study Kaplan 180 next? I really can't go to a class, so have to do self study which I feel has worked for me so far. Any other books that you suggest? Thanks  a lot.

Vicki11NYR

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: what should I do next?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 03:04:01 PM »
Hey, congrats on your improvement, thus far!

Firstly, I think you should maybe try to do some of the LR and LG sections timed, so you can get a more accurate estimate where you stand in those sections. 

Since you seemed to like the PS logic games bible, maybe you should try to give the PS logical reasoning bible a try.  I've heard PS techniques are suppose to be great (hence why I'm enrolled in their full-length course).

As of now, I'm terrible at logical reasoning, but I seem to be doing fine with Logic Games.  I think that it comes naturally to me because I have done logic games in crossword/puzzle books that you can find in the supermarket or drug store.  If you want to, you could maybe pick them up and try working your way through them.  I find that they're harder than the games on the LSAT, especially if you tried to do it timed (I never did, since I just did them leisurely before I knew much about the LSAT).  Anyway, after having done them for awhile, when I first approached the Lsat, I found that the LG section came natural for me.

BTW, how are you at the Reading Comprehension section, just out of curiousity?

Anyway, good luck with your studying!  Also, as I said, test yourself with a couple preptests timed so you can get a better sense of how well you're doing before you go and buy extra study material.  You might not need to improve your techniques anymore, just your familiarity with the test itself and speed while taking it, and would be better off just working your way through LSAT after LSAT.
Stats: 3.96/174

Accepted: HLS, CLS, NYU, UChicago ($$$), UPenn, Duke, UVA ($$$), GULC ($$$)
Pending: YLS, Cornell

LSN Account: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Vicki11NYR

fulltimejob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 03:08:07 PM »
Vicky:
Thanks for your suggestions. I wouldn't say i loved the Bible. But I used it in addition to Master the LSAT games section and together it helped. Infact I found the grouping games section was better explained in MAster the LSAT. RC section, I have only done timed and I consistently hit 18 questions with approx 16 correct. I need to work on my speed there.

I was planning to start timed tests around aug 15 so I still have a week before that.

bummerz

• AOL Instant Messenger - mtndaywalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 03:11:44 PM »
I have a full time job also.  Mine is 9-5.  So what I would do is wake up early and do 1 or 2 sections before work so I can get used to doing lsat in the morning.  Then I would go home and do 1 or 2 sections at night.  I started timing myself but found it pointless and actually counter productive.  For me it's easier to just do them untimed so that I can diagram / abstract the ideas / etc out so I fully understand the questions and answers.  When I do take a timed section I find that I am not as rushed and the abstraction comes easier / faster.  I dont even worry about the time limit anymore as I can hit about 16 in the first 20 mins and 7-10 in the next 10 .. and finish the ones i didnt do in the last 5 minutes.