Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kids-Part time/full time  (Read 1943 times)

BAB

• 't aint no sin . . .
    • View Profile
Re: Kids-Part time/full time
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 11:51:58 AM »
I have 3 kids, (7, 5, and 1.5). I will be going full time. fortunately I have a wife who would like to stay home with the kids. My concern is that some of the schools I am looking at will not allow an increase in student loans to help support a spouse. Has anyone else run into that problem? Why do schools get to determine how much money I can borrow? Especially since I am getting grants so my loan total would not be any higher than most other students'.
Only the shallow know themselves - Oscar Wilde

| J |

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 12:24:06 PM »
I have 3 kids, (7, 5, and 1.5). I will be going full time. fortunately I have a wife who would like to stay home with the kids. My concern is that some of the schools I am looking at will not allow an increase in student loans to help support a spouse. Has anyone else run into that problem? Why do schools get to determine how much money I can borrow? Especially since I am getting grants so my loan total would not be any higher than most other students'.

I may be experiencing that problem in the near future.  My situation is a bit different though, because my wife is also a full-time student.  I'll let you know what happens for us.
USD '09.  Sunny San Diego, baby!

Danni

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 07:26:34 PM »
I know of one big way that being married to a student actually hurts you. If your school gives a higher loan allowance to cover your day care needs (you have to explain that you need the day care in order to be in school) they will SPLIT the allowance between your loans and your spouses. This can be a problem if your spouse isn't getting enough as it is.

Danni

Juliebulie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 07:30:14 AM »
It looks as though I'm headed in the part-time direction, we just found out my husband needs two more classes this year in his field to ensure NY State liscensure. We think the balancing act will be enough with the part-time program. At my school part-time is only one less class a semester any way, barely parttime!  Also, they have an acceerated program in which I can graduate in 3 1/3 years assuming I take summer classes in the first two summers.  Has anyone heard of a program like this?
Not to mention  there is an option to switch and catch up to full time as well.

phooey

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 10:04:34 PM »
The school I'm attending graduates the part-time students in 3.5 years too.  They just take classes over the summers- a good option for sure!
I decided for full-time in the end because I want to have a "real" law school experience.  I want to work full-time during the summer like the other students do, and in our situation, I will be able to spend MORE time with my family if I go during the day, rather than switching childcare duties with my husband (him taking over in the evenings so I can go to school).  Since part-time is still a buttload of work, I figured I might as well just go for it.  Maybe I have a shot at actually being able to spend some time with my family in the evenings and on the weekends if I can do school full-time on weekdays.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 03:59:41 PM »
The school I'm attending graduates the part-time students in 3.5 years too.  They just take classes over the summers- a good option for sure!
I decided for full-time in the end because I want to have a "real" law school experience.  I want to work full-time during the summer like the other students do, and in our situation, I will be able to spend MORE time with my family if I go during the day

ditto ditto ditto

The family thing seemed obvious to me early on - if I worked 40 hrs, then went to school, there would be no time for them.  The other stuff was real important too.  I'm going way in debt here; I'm going to need at least a decent job when I get out; if not biglaw, well then at least with a medium sized firm at what, 70-80K per year?  I'm just not sure how I'd put myself into that sort of job as a part time student.  I figured I'd need the full time experience - summer associate job and all that - to get where I need to be financially.  Of course, the best i could do was 4th tier, so I'm probably going to have to end up top 10% to make all that happen.  If it is apparent after the first year that I'm not going to be at the top of my class, I may have to switch to PT, for financial reasons.
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

phooey

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 08:57:22 PM »
I decided for full-time in the end because I want to have a "real" law school experience.  I want to work full-time during the summer like the other students do, and in our situation, I will be able to spend MORE time with my family if I go during the day

ditto ditto ditto

The family thing seemed obvious to me early on - if I worked 40 hrs, then went to school, there would be no time for them.  The other stuff was real important too.  I'm going way in debt here; I'm going to need at least a decent job when I get out; if not biglaw, well then at least with a medium sized firm at what, 70-80K per year?  I'm just not sure how I'd put myself into that sort of job as a part time student.  I figured I'd need the full time experience - summer associate job and all that - to get where I need to be financially.  Of course, the best i could do was 4th tier, so I'm probably going to have to end up top 10% to make all that happen.  If it is apparent after the first year that I'm not going to be at the top of my class, I may have to switch to PT, for financial reasons.

Good luck to you.  This is a very stressful leap of faith we're all taking. 

lsatflunkie

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 10:54:14 PM »
I'm struggling with this issue now.  I've been a paralegal for over 12 years- and with my current firm for over 7.  My boss says he fully supports me going to LS- and wants to see me succeed; in fact, he's my biggest fan.  I applied for p/t evening- and was accepted but I'm contemplating switching to p/t day.  The primary reason I want to switch is so that I can be home in the evenings for dinner, bathtime and bedtime with my family and then have from approx. 8:30pm thru 12:30am to do some studying alone.  I'll also have Friday's off and the weekend nights. The other reason is- if i go during the day, i'll be able to reap the benefits of the day-time court room integrated classes as a 2L and 3L.  But, I've been told that if you go in the evening, some of the professors are less stringent b/c they know that you most likely work f/t and have a family...  My boss is willing to permit me to work less hours- so I could potentially do either.  I'm lost as to what to do...  any suggestions?

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 09:39:29 AM »
One thing you should know about the part-time program.  There are students in the part-time program who do not have jobs.  They take advantage of it, by having all the time to the study that the rest of the class does not.  Since their exams are only curved in their own section, which will be all part-time students, the strategy is that they will get the best grades. 
A friend of mine thinks that some students opt for the part-time program for this reason, although I figure that they are mostly students who weren't accepted to the full-time.