Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Logic Games want to rip my soul out.  (Read 498 times)

Niiice

• View Profile
Logic Games want to rip my soul out.
« on: May 10, 2006, 05:14:54 AM »
I know there have been countless games threads but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some specific advice. The games have always been my trouble spot. Ive been abroad this semester but looked through a Kaplan and Barron's book (yeah, I know) before finally getting the LRB, LGB, and ten actual tets a couple weeks ago or so. I pretty much have worked through the LGB but when I move over to actual preptests I look at half the games and just can't figure out how to get it together. If I can get to the point where I'm getting most games sections right (seemingly impossible right now) breaking 170 should not be a problem. I'm taking the test in June so I'd really appreciate it if anyone that has any specific ideas on how to improve the games, ways to work re-work through the LGB, practice w or w/o timing, etc. would let me know.

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
Re: Logic Games want to rip my soul out.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 09:07:44 AM »
This is a copy of a reply that I posted yesterday to a similar question that you posted:

Just like with sports, for example: running...once you have the technique down, you have to work on speed...and you will get faster and faster.

Set your timer at 8 minutes and work through a game. Don' t just focus on getting all four done in 35 minutes, but break down the games. Once the timer goes off at 8 minutes (I am not saying 8 minutes and 45 seconds because you need time to bubble your scantron sheet...) then mark where you are in the game and finish it.

Once you are finished with the game, check it...figure out where you made mistakes and rework the game again. Some people like to wait a few days before they rework the game, but that is preference. Make sure to set the timer again at 8 minutes.

You will notice that games tend to take the following pattern:

1 to 2 easier games --- linear or sequencing game,
1 game that is time consuming but not too difficult, and
1 game that is tricky and because of its difficulty level, it is time consuming.

So, you need to actually train yourself to finish the two easier games in 5 minutes or less, so that you have enough time to finish the harder ones.

With practice, you will recognize the necessary deductions faster and more efficiently, BUT that only comes with practice.

I suggest that you make yourself a folder with all the games of the released tests, 52 tests have been released.

Use that folder to work through games and/or add an extra game section as a fifth (experimental) section. This way, you will have more exposure to the games. The important thing is to go through each game a second time to ensure that you know what is going on...and a third time, reworking the game from scratch.

Vera
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

bkoroma22

• MSN Messenger - bkoroma22@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - bkoroma22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bkoroma22
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 08:53:59 PM »
I second Vera's comments.

About three weeks ago I was missing, on averaging 40-60% of the questions in Games (so 9-12 wrong). I picked up the LGB, went through it in 3-4 days, and took a practice section. I got a perfect score. I've taken three practice tests and a few practice games sections by themselves, and I've yet to miss more than 3.

For me practice will solidify. I kind of liken it to the following analogy: the LGB will give you the tools, but practice will give you the skills to use those tools.

REDO your games, indeed.
LGB?
Sometimes I just don't know

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:18:20 PM »
LGB = Powerscore Logic Games Bible
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

theknowinsamoan

• View Profile
    • Ace Test Prep
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 01:10:40 AM »
What are the specific Test #s you are working on?

jrosh

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 01:42:14 AM »
I'm having a problem with logic games also.  My problem isn't timing, rather, understanding how to do them.
I'm trying to get through LGB right now, but it's a slow pace.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 05:58:50 AM »
I second the advice to do 8 minute practice sections. 

I used to do these types of things for fun when I was younger.  Given time (I don't need much more than 40 minutes), I get 100% on LG sections.  However, with the added pressure of a time limit, my scores dropped dramatically.  This is because you don't have time to experiment -- you have to get the arrangement spot-on the first time, and make all the inferences quickly.

I find that, once you've gone through the LGB, all you really need to know is the order they prescribe, and what each term means in that order.  The finer details come with practice.  And if you practice per section, you will improve.  If you find you're finishing within 8 minutes, see if you can push yourself to 7 minutes, and so on.

I'll let you know how that goes for me.  hahahaha

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.