Law School Discussion

Logic Games want to rip my soul out.

Logic Games want to rip my soul out.
« on: May 10, 2006, 03:14:54 AM »
I know there have been countless games threads but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some specific advice. The games have always been my trouble spot. Ive been abroad this semester but looked through a Kaplan and Barron's book (yeah, I know) before finally getting the LRB, LGB, and ten actual tets a couple weeks ago or so. I pretty much have worked through the LGB but when I move over to actual preptests I look at half the games and just can't figure out how to get it together. If I can get to the point where I'm getting most games sections right (seemingly impossible right now) breaking 170 should not be a problem. I'm taking the test in June so I'd really appreciate it if anyone that has any specific ideas on how to improve the games, ways to work re-work through the LGB, practice w or w/o timing, etc. would let me know.

Re: Logic Games want to rip my soul out.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 06:53:59 PM »
I second Vera's comments.

About three weeks ago I was missing, on averaging 40-60% of the questions in Games (so 9-12 wrong). I picked up the LGB, went through it in 3-4 days, and took a practice section. I got a perfect score. I've taken three practice tests and a few practice games sections by themselves, and I've yet to miss more than 3.

For me practice will solidify. I kind of liken it to the following analogy: the LGB will give you the tools, but practice will give you the skills to use those tools.

REDO your games, indeed.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 11:10:40 PM »
What are the specific Test #s you are working on?

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 11:42:14 PM »
I'm having a problem with logic games also.  My problem isn't timing, rather, understanding how to do them.
I'm trying to get through LGB right now, but it's a slow pace.

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 03:58:50 AM »
I second the advice to do 8 minute practice sections. 

I used to do these types of things for fun when I was younger.  Given time (I don't need much more than 40 minutes), I get 100% on LG sections.  However, with the added pressure of a time limit, my scores dropped dramatically.  This is because you don't have time to experiment -- you have to get the arrangement spot-on the first time, and make all the inferences quickly.

I find that, once you've gone through the LGB, all you really need to know is the order they prescribe, and what each term means in that order.  The finer details come with practice.  And if you practice per section, you will improve.  If you find you're finishing within 8 minutes, see if you can push yourself to 7 minutes, and so on.

I'll let you know how that goes for me.  hahahaha