Law School Discussion

erasing scores / starting over

supergirluw

Re: erasing scores / starting over
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 09:47:39 PM »

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 09:51:28 PM »
well, all i have to say is that if your'e not feeling it.. then wait, work, take the test again and re-apply. at least you got in somewhere... i think that is a great achievement right there.

dusya4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 05:40:57 AM »
I would personally wait. Right now the LSAT and your disappointment are too close. Put some distance between yourself and the test. Do something completely not related to law. Waitressing is fine, but I would try to do something more interesting and fulfulling. Maybe not for 5 years but until you feel comfortable to face the monster again. 21 is really young. I graduated when I was 20 and will have worked for 4 years in a non-law profession by the time I go to law school. Plus I have valuable work experience, that although may not help me in school, will sure as hell help me in my future legal career.

It looks like you need to do some serious soul searching. Don't blindly follow advice of people on this board. What may be a great idea for one person could be a disaster for another.

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 05:48:48 AM »
I would try being realistic.  The odds of going from a 145, 154 (after studying as you say) to a 170 are virtually nil.  It isn't going to happen.  You are talking about going from the 50th percentile to the 99th.

The T14 will ignore your old schools to a certain extent if you score 10 pts. or higher on a particular exam.  A 165+ is definately not going to be easy coming from your previous scores, but it IS possible.

That being said, you shouldn't just get a job as a server or a legal assistant, you should try to find something you would be happy doing if law school doesn't work out.  My buddy back home spent 3 years working for the DA's office and got some great legal experience, however, his low LSAT scores (152 average I think) didn't get him admitted to anywhere worth going to.  Now he has a resume that looks great for a future lawyer, but doesn't offer much in terms of career development elsewhere.

Getting a real job while you continue chaasing your dream won't hurt you by any means.  Law schools don't care if you worked as a legal assistant or not.  First and foremost they care about numbers.  It is the sad truth.  Conversely, the lower tier schools will also zone in on what you can bring to the table.  I would bet good money that they get thousands of "legal assistant" resumes every year, but if you are doing something else where you are gaining real world experience, that will likely make you stand out a bit.

Good Luck!

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 12:02:19 PM »
If you have the $$$: Hire an LSAT tutor from Powerscore and start seeing a career counselor.