Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Paving THE path to becoming a SUCCESSFUL attorney - please assist.  (Read 6170 times)

ms

Re: Paving THE path to becoming a SUCCESSFUL attorney - please assist.
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 10:37:36 PM »
I didn't mean grade inflation in the sense that it was easy to get A's, but more in the sense that the average GPA is just much higher. There could be a number of factors for why that occurs, and those make it difficult to really compare schools evenly. I'm not saying Harvard isn't more difficult. I just wonder how much of the higher student quality is already built into the average GPA. 

bender1020

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 10:54:13 PM »
higher avg gpa generally = easier to get A's, though, no?

ms

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 11:13:08 PM »
Could mean a stronger (academic) student body. Which I think is probably the case. They do tend to recruit exceptional students so it would make sense that the GPA (given roughly equal class difficulty) would be higher on average.

bender1020

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 11:32:49 PM »
probably a mix of the two. grade inflation + smarter students.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2006, 04:28:47 AM »
i would go with correlation =/= causation on that one.  people at Dipshit U are dumber, thats why they score lower.  it's a numbers game. 4.0 anywhere is better than 3.5 anywhere.  now, i think i'd agree with you if the difference was less drastic, perhaps something like 3.8 princeton/yale/stanford  vs. 4.0 arizona state.

Yeah, but don't you think, Brother Eagle, that an adcomm is going to look at a 4.0 from a glorified kindergarten like East Bumfuck State and say, "Big deal, my dog could pull a 3.8 there."?  I tend to think they would ignore that GPA entirely (since all it says is that you're somewhat smarter than the guy's dog, but probably not as smart as Albert Einstein) and look entirely at the LSAT score as a test of how well the candidate could compete with the rest of the people in their class.

After all, it wasn't Elle Woods's 4.0 GPA in Fashion Merchandising that got her into Harvard, it was her 179 LSAT score.  :)

Anyway, this is all pretty irrelevant to the OP's situation, as either Michigan or GT are a long, long way from EBSU.  I'm merely trying to tell him that it doesn't matter which school on that level he goes to all long as he gets good grades, but he shouldn't transfer to EBSU in order to get a 4.0.

Emory '09

LSN

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2006, 04:48:50 AM »
Could mean a stronger (academic) student body. Which I think is probably the case. They do tend to recruit exceptional students so it would make sense that the GPA (given roughly equal class difficulty) would be higher on average.

my UG had a strict grading curve similar to LS so that wasnt the case there...we always had to have a 3.0 GPA..so therefore there could only be acertain number of As and Bs..this completly screwed me over during this whols tupid process as my GPA is great for my school..better than all my friends and im graduating magna yet it was the weakest part of my app (was a 3.53 in case u were curious)

to the OP..chill out ENJOY YOURSELF. college is a great experience and as someone who is GRAUDATING IN 2 DAYS  dont spend all of it stressing and studying..have a good time as well.make friends..hook up with hot chicks..study also but dont get so caught up in law school you forget to have a life

ur never getting these years back and college is one of the best times of ur life..dont waste it being a dork so you can get into HYS

im not saying dont study im just saying enjoy yourself as well...
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2006, 05:10:51 AM »
Yeah, go to class, study, limit yourself to about 1/2 the drinkin' and hookin' up with hot chicks that I did (trust me, that still gives you PLENTY of leeway), and you'll be fine.
Emory '09

LSN

Pirate Pete

• LSD Obsessed
  • member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2006, 11:00:36 AM »
i would go with correlation =/= causation on that one.  people at Dipshit U are dumber, thats why they score lower.  it's a numbers game. 4.0 anywhere is better than 3.5 anywhere.  now, i think i'd agree with you if the difference was less drastic, perhaps something like 3.8 princeton/yale/stanford  vs. 4.0 arizona state.

Yeah, but don't you think, Brother Eagle, that an adcomm is going to look at a 4.0 from a glorified kindergarten like East Bumfuck State and say, "Big deal, my dog could pull a 3.8 there."?  I tend to think they would ignore that GPA entirely (since all it says is that you're somewhat smarter than the guy's dog, but probably not as smart as Albert Einstein) and look entirely at the LSAT score as a test of how well the candidate could compete with the rest of the people in their class.

After all, it wasn't Elle Woods's 4.0 GPA in Fashion Merchandising that got her into Harvard, it was her 179 LSAT score:)

Anyway, this is all pretty irrelevant to the OP's situation, as either Michigan or GT are a long, long way from EBSU.  I'm merely trying to tell him that it doesn't matter which school on that level he goes to all long as he gets good grades, but he shouldn't transfer to EBSU in order to get a 4.0.

Didn't she get a 175?
fair like the sun that shines in my soul when you're near, emily
Wow, Em is genius!

Pirate Pete

• LSD Obsessed
  • member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »

didn't george bush get Cs at yale?  i consider him to be the case study of what happens if you take someone who belongs at a lousy school and put them at a good one--grades aren't so hot.

Dubya would have gotten C's at community college, too, jsyk.
fair like the sun that shines in my soul when you're near, emily
Wow, Em is genius!

ms

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2006, 07:42:44 PM »

didn't george bush get Cs at yale?  i consider him to be the case study of what happens if you take someone who belongs at a lousy school and put them at a good one--grades aren't so hot.

He went to school before the Vietnam boost began. Today at Yale he would have B's.