Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Paving THE path to becoming a SUCCESSFUL attorney - please assist.  (Read 5917 times)

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have always considered law as a potential career since eighth grade.  Yes, it was serious.  I wasn't one of those kids who couldn't pick an interest, and stuck with law.  I interned at a medium-sized law firm in New York City, actively participated in my school's Mock Trial and Moot Court team, among other Mock Trial competitions outside of school.  On top of that, I took a law course at the University of Chicago during my junior year in High School, and I won the mock trial there as well.

I am not trying to boast, or show off.  I am proving that I truly wish to make something of myself in the field of law.  I even considered other fields (business, doctor, psychology, professor, writer, actor, swimmer, etc.) but I ended up back with Law.  I loved it too much to let it go.  Everything else is placed on the "back-burner."  I will dabble in business through the stock market, or through corporate law.  I will write as a hobby, and continue to swim throughout college, and recreationally.  As for acting... I really enjoy it, but I cannot envision myself making a career out of it.  I'm not willing to take that risk.

I am graduating High School this year, and most likely I will end up at the University of Michigan for my freshman year.  I have the option to transfer to Georgetown University - with a guaranteed admission, as long as I retain a certain GPA; and, I'm willing to spend $120.00 on application fees, besides Georgetown - Stanford University, and University of Chicago.  Who knows, maybe I can make it into a better school?

Or, perhaps, should I attend the United States Military Academy at West Point?

My short-term goal is to get into Stanford Law School, Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School, and the like.  After that, to get recruited by a big, big law firm.  Hopefully, one of the best.  Which route is the best for me? 

Note:  I did apply to West Point, for other reasons than to just furnish my resume.  I would be happy going there, OR a great school like Georgetown U, and especially Stanford U.

I need some guidance on setting a path for success in my legal profession.

You're constructive advice is appreciated.  :)

Thanks,

Kyle

NYCK

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paving THE path to becoming a SUCCESSFUL attorney - please assist.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 03:43:04 PM »
Does anyone have any input?

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 08:10:36 AM »
Yep - it doesn't really matter what school you go to, as long as you have a high GPA and do really well on the LSAT.  The whole admissions process is almost completely numbers-driven, and those are the two numbers that count.
Emory '09

LSN

NYCK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 08:56:56 AM »
Thank you for the feedback.  It's noted.

tmc123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 12:46:59 AM »
Or, perhaps, should I attend the United States Military Academy at West Point?

My short-term goal is to get into Stanford Law School, Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School, and the like. 

Only go USMA if you want to become and Army Officer and spend 5 or more years as in the Army.  If your short term goal is to go to law school do not go to West Point. 

Furthermore you shouldn't concern yourself too much with the prestige of your undergraduate  institution.  Some schools do take that into account but a far more significant factor is your overall undergraduate GPA.  Go wherever you can earn the highest possible GPA.  Don't worry about your major either just study whatever you will do best in. 
UVA '09

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 01:15:18 AM »
Clearly, get drunk.  Lawyers like to drink.

THE path, eh?

Pirate Pete

• LSD Obsessed
  • member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 01:46:00 AM »
I am really at a loss for words here.
fair like the sun that shines in my soul when you're near, emily
Wow, Em is genius!

Pirate Pete

• LSD Obsessed
  • member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 02:48:27 AM »

also, you should be sure to sabotage anyone who gets in your way

;D
fair like the sun that shines in my soul when you're near, emily
Wow, Em is genius!

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 10:36:28 AM »
that goes for undergrad too.  remember, the professor is there to teach YOU - if nobody else is smart enough to figure that out, well, that's why they are merely detritus beneath your feet on the road to personal glory.
Emory '09

LSN

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 10:48:53 AM »
Contrary to the conventional wisdom posted on this board, I think that it does matter where you go to undergrad, for a number of reasons.

1) Admissions committees, when addressing the question, state that they take quality of UG institution into consideration.  While GPA is an important rankings criteria for admissions, it seems evident that engineering GPAs are handled differently from liberal arts GPAs, and I 've heard an adcomm member say that "we consider a 3.0 from Harvard to be better than a 4.0 from Chico State."
2) You are likely to get a better education at a better institution.  One of the biggest law-related skill you will acquire in college is writing.  Better schools with better teachers will help you become a better writer.  My writing before I entered college compared with my writing coming out is so different that it's virtually unrecognizable.  I'd also say the same is true (to a slightly lesser extent) of logic skills - take some philosophy and econ classes to hone these. 
3) As a result of 2) above, a better school is likely to prepare you better for the LSAT.

Now I'm not saying you should go $100K plus in debt just to go to a school with name recognition; it's a cost-benefit analysis for everyone.  And as many on this board (Bass, What a Croc, etc.) have shown, you can get into the elite law schools without having gone to a great undergrad school.  But at the same time, I don't think it's accurate to say that all colleges are created equal.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .