Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Constant uncertainty getting the best of anyone else? Another sob story.  (Read 867 times)

Monarch heels

• View Profile
I still don't know about my financial aid, which will determine if I really do get to go to LS.  I would have been in the 2005-2006 L1 class, but had to defer for a year and now I don't know if I got the big scholarship again. I need to give notice NOW at work if I'm going to disappear in mid July, but I can't seem to get a straight answer from the school.  I call roughly every 7 days.  I'm 8 time zones ahead of where my LS is.  That means that every morning when I check my email to see if there is any word about the scholarship, and see that there is not, I get to think about it all day long until I can call in the evening.  Let's see... it's been 4 working days since I last called them, guess I'm due for another call tonight.

I'm on the very edge lately, it seems.  My British officemate is getting on my nerves more than ever- she ends every phrase with "if you know what I mean."  She's a hypochondriac homeopath and spends half the day chatting with her patients about their (and her) illnesses.  Just one of those things that annoys me more because I'm hyper sensitive and keyed up right now.  There are rumors flying around the office that I'm going to law school- and that's all they are to me, too- rumors.  Cannot confirm, cannot deny.  The constant uncertainty- it's been like this for a year ever since I found out I would have to reapply for the the scholarship- is really wearing me down.  What is it about me now that causes them to hesitate about giving me the scholarship?  My scores and GPA are the same as they always were.  I deferred to work at the UN, for crying out loud.  It's like stretching out the admissions process for an extra year.   

Is anyone else going through something like this?  Oh how I wish it was not 3:26 am at the LS right now so that I could CALL....

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Wow - I am not going through anything like that, but I feel bad for you.  That's just crazy.

Hang in there...it can't be much longer.

raging_achilles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Deep breaths.  Take it easy.  If they don't give you the scholarship because you deferred, maybe go anyway or just don't go at all.  If you can get a job at the UN, you can do other cool things.  Deferring is almost never a good idea.

Law-Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
Look around for other scholarship offers, it is not too late to apply and you sound like a perfect candidate (working at the UN). Also see if the UN has anything that might be able to help, maybe get your supervisor to write a letter to LS asking them to strongly consider you for the scholarship. Use any resources you can.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

Monarch heels

• View Profile
Thanks for the kind words.  I think I was really losing it this morning when I typed that.  Maybe they'll have some news for me when I call tonight.

cheers

phooey

:D   hypochondriac homeopath...
I know some of those (patients).
They drive me crazy too.

Monarch heels

• View Profile
Called them last night...
Interesting...I've been penalized for deferring a year and working at the UN.  They offered me HALF the amount they did last year.
Now I get to decide if it is worth it to me.  Part of me feels pretty miffed about the lesser amount and says I should just blow the whole thing off.  The other part of me says that miffed feeling is what got me interested in law in the first place and I should use it as fuel to show them how they messed up with me (by going and being a brilliant student, of course (I hope!))  I've got an aggressive streak that really flourishes in academic settings- kind of like proving myself, I guess.

::)