Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: my life just changed course, now i can go anywhere, where do i apply?  (Read 1209 times)

cluelessprelaw

• View Profile
Okay, I have been checking this webpage for help throughout the preparation for the LSAT (too bad they don't allow you to post questions anymore).  There was a lot of help available then.  I see a lot of people get helpful comments and suggestions about what schools to apply to, and I'd appreciate some feedback. 

I was going to stick around the New York area to stay close to an SO that it is over with, now I want to move to greener pastures.

I have a few preferences:
- love mountains, skiing/snowboarding are major pluses
- want affordable housing (should be easy compared to NYC)
- smaller-midsize cities sound great (Pittsburgh, Boulder, Reno, whatever)
- want a place that isnt bible belt like or anything super religious or reminiscent of the pecuilar institution

I have like no extracirriculars and am not minority, but I have great numbers, 3.8 or so and a 166 lsat.  I'm not so caught up in prestige and big firms, but just want a quality school, affordable if possible (so maybe a public with residency requirements after 1L or just low out of state tuition). 

I have talked to a few people and have some schools in mind, please critique or suggest more and offer insight into the culture/education/scholarship opportunities.

Again: where they place is not so important, I am okay with starting a new life in a new city at a "ttt" firm.

Pittsburgh
Minnesota
Colorado - Boulder
Las Vegas
Arizona
Tulane
Washington & Lee
Vermont
University of Washington (Seattle)
University of Utah
Case Western
SUNY Buffalo
Lewis & Clark
UConn
UNC

Thanks.

reyzl

• View Profile
I'm a Seattle native and it sounds like Seattle might be a good fit for you. Housing prices aren't low but they're better than NY. We've got lots of great skiing nearby and it's gorgeous (to me- if overcast isn't your bag, maybe not.) It's a very laid back city so I don't think you'd run into ideological issues. Traffic sucks but where doesn't it? Your numbers are a good fit for the University of Washington, which is well respected by firms in the area and, as far as I know, isn't too crazy in tuition. 

cluelessprelaw

• View Profile
I'm a Seattle native and it sounds like Seattle might be a good fit for you. Housing prices aren't low but they're better than NY. We've got lots of great skiing nearby and it's gorgeous (to me- if overcast isn't your bag, maybe not.) It's a very laid back city so I don't think you'd run into ideological issues. Traffic sucks but where doesn't it? Your numbers are a good fit for the University of Washington, which is well respected by firms in the area and, as far as I know, isn't too crazy in tuition. 

I had been so NY-centric in choosing schools that I had never noticed that UWashington was a top school.  After speaking with my professor that really knows me well and gives great advice as a friend, he suggested I take a look at Washington and Minnesota, because they fit my preferences and are top schools. 

I'll do some more research, but how bad are the house prices, like how much (or a range) is the average house in a nicer area? 
Is it 500k+ like NY? 

rowala

• View Profile
Your numbers could possibly get you into Cornell, which is a great school with a small student body and a beautiful campus.  You would have the outdoor recreational opportunities you mentioned and great employment options, but it is not cheap.  Ithaca is a small (but nice) college town.

cluelessprelaw

• View Profile
Your numbers could possibly get you into Cornell, which is a great school with a small student body and a beautiful campus.  You would have the outdoor recreational opportunities you mentioned and great employment options, but it is not cheap.  Ithaca is a small (but nice) college town.

Yeah I have some schools on my list not posted here, Cornell among them.  The others are New York schools except BC, which I am interested in.  Thanks for the reply.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm going to Washington & Lee, but based on your interests I'm not sure you'd like it.  Skiing in the immediate vicinity is pretty lame (although Snowshoe 3 hours away in WV is pretty good).  But Lexington is a very small town (7000) and the area is steeped in southern culture (Robert E. Lee is buried there).  Amongst the law students you're not likely to find any more ignorance and racism than amongst other student bodies, but the same cannot always be said of the surrounding countryside (which is beautiful, BTW).

Academically, it's a great school, placing well in the Mid-South Atlantic and sending some grads to all parts of the country.  It definitely has mountains, and might be the cheapest on your list in terms of cost of living.  But the law school is a tight-knit, isolated community, and that's not for everybody.  Feel free to PM me if you have additional W&L questions; Lenny and Fred Hits are also current W&L students who post with some regularity and have been very helpful to me in providing information.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

reyzl

• View Profile

I had been so NY-centric in choosing schools that I had never noticed that UWashington was a top school.  After speaking with my professor that really knows me well and gives great advice as a friend, he suggested I take a look at Washington and Minnesota, because they fit my preferences and are top schools. 

I'll do some more research, but how bad are the house prices, like how much (or a range) is the average house in a nicer area? 
Is it 500k+ like NY? 

From what I know on the subject, which isn't much, the median price of a home in King County (where Seattle in located) is around $400,000. I think you can get one for less if you move a commutable distance away from the city. My family members all live in neighboring counties where housing prices are lower.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
Adding to the W&L suggestion, you could try UVA as a reach if you applied very early in the cycle and W&M.  Both UVA and W&M are closer to larger towns than W&L.  There is skiing in WV, so the student associations plan a ski trip once a year.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

burr33

• View Profile
UC Davis

1 hour from tahoe.

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Utah.
1. Mountains
2. Mountains
3. Mountains
4. Did I mention mountains and snow?
5. Salt Lake City (a perfect blend of big and small city, and ski resorts are less than 30 minutes from campus)
6. Affordable housing
7. Teir 1-Teir2 School
8. Enormous, beatiful campus tucked below big mountains.
You're shoe-in at Utah with those numbers.  Some people might be afraid of the Mormon culture.  It is true that 65-70% of Utah's population is Mormon.  But those numbers decrease dramatically in the metro Salt Lake area, especially around campus.  

PM me if you have any questions in particular.