Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WHEN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION WAS WHITE  (Read 1364 times)

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
WHEN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION WAS WHITE
« on: May 08, 2006, 11:44:44 AM »
"White" women have benefited the most from AA. 

"White" males continue to practice affirmative action. 
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: WHEN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION WAS WHITE
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 12:06:19 PM »

This is a true statement that everyone likes to deny.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SPerkinsManheim
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 12:25:52 PM »
If I had the opportunity to benefit from affirmative action, I would absolutely do so with no sense of shame whatsoever.

Of course... I would also have better things to do with my time than passionately argue on the Internet with people who resented it!  ;D

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 12:29:20 PM »
If I had the opportunity to benefit from affirmative action, I would absolutely do so with no sense of shame whatsoever.

Of course... I would also have better things to do with my time than passionately argue on the Internet with people who resented it!  ;D
So, only white people who think they don't benefit from affirmative action are allowed to waste their time arguing on the Internet?
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 12:46:25 PM »
So, only white people who think they don't benefit from affirmative action are allowed to waste their time arguing on the Internet?

Heh, you're ALLOWED to take a crap in your washing machine during the spin cyle if it pleases you... throwing a lighthearted jab at someone isn't "telling them what to do". 

As for double-standards, I'm a guy with the most boring job on earth who's just surfing on the clock and marking time until 1L starts.  I stumbled into this board through another thread that I only stumbled across because it was on the "Latest Posts" section of the site's main page.  Half my contributions to this board have been jokes and goofy wisecracks.  The second half has been raising philosophical questions in a non-argumentative way and not directed at any individual.  The third half (thanks, Yogi Berra!) has been poking fun at the people on both sides who get so worked up with bitter anger and take this board too seriously, making themselves sound ridiculous.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 12:58:21 PM »

It seems to be this is all going to come down to how you define AA.  The way I define it, this statement for the most part isn't true (for the most part, there are things like legacies), but I understand the original poster point.

The way I understand AA is to mean using devices to create a naturally integrated world.  In other words, without past discrimination the country would be naturally integrated, so that affirmative action must be taken to remedy the effects of past discrimination that created this un-natural non-integrated world.  From a legal standpoint at the least thats one of the premises of AA.  I doubt its true, even if whites, hadn't discriminated against Asians, African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanics, Eskimos  (I just use Eskimos because they are included in some urm categories), there would probably be some natural segregation, just become smaller social networks create personal bonds between people, which help people deal with the obstacles life throws at them, and an easy way to form a social network is shared characteristics like race, language, and other things that I can't think of.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 05:27:13 PM »
Older white men hire younger white men. Those white men hire more white men.  Look around.

-TMcGraw

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 05:43:59 PM »
Older white men hire younger white men. Those white men hire more white men.  Look around.

My experience is that middle-aged white men hire younger white men.  Older white men like to hire blonde chicks with big t*ts.   ;D