Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone quitting?  (Read 2514 times)

Fidelio

Re: Anyone quitting?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 11:38:50 AM »
For you folks that are quitting or are considering quitting, would being accepted only to a Tier 3 or Tier 4 school have changed your mind to leave your jobs?

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 11:46:25 AM »
For you folks that are quitting or are considering quitting, would being accepted only to a Tier 3 or Tier 4 school have changed your mind to leave your jobs?

Ergh, no.  However, I'd say that's a decision taht's an individual one.

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 11:59:43 AM »
Leaving my golf pro job (3+ years here, 10 in the business) sometime this summer.  Gave notice a while ago, will work with them on the timing of a replacement. 

I wouldn't have changed careers to go to a T3 or T4 law school.

Law-Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 12:24:14 PM »
I'm going to a low Tier 2/ High Tier 3, and I still think it is worth it.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 01:17:59 PM »
I'm going the opposite way...leaving law school for my job. Was working FT and going to school PT, but just got a transfer to another state. Couldn't refuse it...have been waiting for this transfer for years, and got a big fat pay raise and promotion along with it.

Law school was definitely challenging and interesting, but I make more money now than I would likely make as a newbie attorney (and work about 1/10th as hard), so I had to go with the job on this one.

Fidelio

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 01:37:36 PM »
I'm going the opposite way...leaving law school for my job. Was working FT and going to school PT, but just got a transfer to another state. Couldn't refuse it...have been waiting for this transfer for years, and got a big fat pay raise and promotion along with it.

Law school was definitely challenging and interesting, but I make more money now than I would likely make as a newbie attorney (and work about 1/10th as hard), so I had to go with the job on this one.

Wow, well congrats on the transfer.  I imagine this is somewhat of a rare scenario wherein someone abandons law school for an alternate career path, though I could be mistaken?

If you don't mind me asking, what Tier was your school in?

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 01:49:35 PM »

I'll be attending a Tier 4 and think it is worth it.

Fidelio

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »

I'll be attending a Tier 4 and think it is worth it.

Yes I happen to agree.  Even though the starting salary of a Tier 4 graduate may perhaps be less a Tier 1 or 2, down the line, years from now, that Tier 4 graduate with good firm experience would likely see their yearly income gradually balloon to six figures.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 09:51:38 AM »

Wow, well congrats on the transfer.  I imagine this is somewhat of a rare scenario wherein someone abandons law school for an alternate career path, though I could be mistaken?

If you don't mind me asking, what Tier was your school in?

I was at a lower ranked Tier 1 school. The transfer was too good to give up. I could have stayed where I was and continued law school, but I really had no intention of ever giving up my job for a career in law anyway (it would have to be one heck of a good legal job for me to switch), so I couldn't justify not taking the promotion.

Law-Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 09:57:43 AM »
I was at a lower ranked Tier 1 school. The transfer was too good to give up. I could have stayed where I was and continued law school, but I really had no intention of ever giving up my job for a career in law anyway (it would have to be one heck of a good legal job for me to switch), so I couldn't justify not taking the promotion.
[/quote]

If you had no intention of switching careers, then staying with the job was the right thing to do. Maybe sometime in the future you can continue LS, but if you like the job it could be really hard to find another one you like as much.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain