Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone quitting?  (Read 2543 times)

Fidelio

Anyone quitting?
« on: May 08, 2006, 08:22:58 AM »
For those of us who are employed and are considering to quit their jobs for law school, please share your (or former) occupation.   

Stacie

• View Profile
Re: Anyone quitting?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 09:21:47 AM »
Editor here.
Target last-work date of July 21.
They don't know yet (or, at least, they haven't been told yet.)

For those of us who are employed and are considering to quit their jobs for law school, please share your (or former) occupation.   

0L, Marquette University Law School

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 09:25:48 AM »
Firm Manager/Sr. Paralegal (7 years)

Last day of work July 28. 

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 09:45:33 AM »
Interim Publications Mgr
10 yrs experience (though it's all over the map, not just in pubs)
August 4, 2006--baby!

wombat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 09:49:34 AM »
English and government teacher and wrestling coach.

Fidelio

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 10:01:50 AM »
Interim Publications Mgr
August 4, 2006--baby!

I have about 4 years invested in my current occupation, just out of curiosity are they going to reward you with any leave package of some sorts?

How do you (or anyone else reading this who have posted in this thread) feel about leaving a job that you have for many years (I imagine your salary is fairly decent as a result) and becoming unemployed (I assume your going FT)?

Please don't mind me asking these questions, I guess we are on the same boat.  I am currently making about $50,000.  I imagine those that are quitting a meaningless job will not be in a risky position as quitting a job like yours or some of the other dynamic jobs the posters on this thread have. 

If there are others who haven't posted their soon to be former jobs, please share!

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 11:04:50 AM »
Interim Publications Mgr
August 4, 2006--baby!

I have about 4 years invested in my current occupation, just out of curiosity are they going to reward you with any leave package of some sorts?

How do you (or anyone else reading this who have posted in this thread) feel about leaving a job that you have for 10 years (I imagine your salary is fairly decent as a result) and becoming unemployed (I assume your going FT)?

Please don't mind me asking these questions, I guess we are on the same boat.  I am currently making about $50,000.  Quitting a meaningless job will not be as risky as quitting a job like yours or some of the other dynamic jobs the posters on this thread have. 

If there are others who haven't posted their soon to be former jobs, please share!

No package.  Won't even pay me for accrued vacation, so I'm going to take it all in the next three months.  I'm at a similar payrate, so it's not like I'm leaving the position at a greater risk than you (or many others by what I've gathered on here).  I guess that has something to do with the field I've chosen, but in any case, I do have some of the concerns you've expressed.

I've tried many things in life thusfar, and I've learned from each.  I'm most comfortable in a classroom, so I spent two years investigating professional and graduate degrees before deciding on return to school to obtain my JD.  Other options included an MA in writing, a PhD in Lit, an MSW, an MBA, an MDiv, and a degree in psychiatric nursing.  I've settled on the law for many reasons, but--in the end--I'm happiest just because I'm returning to school full-time; I'll be successful and content.

Sounds like a wacky way to live life?  Eh, I don't care what anyone else thinks.  I've thought this move through carefully, examining the financial, professional, and personal impact it will have.   

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 11:11:52 AM »
Leaving 6 years as a management/IT consultant working with the federal gov't.  Target last date: August 7.  They don't know yet, I'm going to give them a month's notice.

No package when I leave, although I do get paid for accrued vacation.

It sucks leaving a good salary behind, but I know it's the right decision for me.  I cannot see myself being happy long-term in my current career.  I'm really looking forward to going back to school, and to a new range of career options when I graduate.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 11:18:23 AM »
MY LAST DAY IS FRIDAY!!!![/color][/b]

Yea!  I have been working for the past five years in Product Management - three years in the financial sector and the last two in employment screening.  I'm taking the summer off before school starts.

On the question of packages, they did offer me a higher salary to stay on for the summer and PT during the school year but no actual "package".

On the question of how I feel about leaving, I don't mind losing the salary...three years ago my husband started his own business so we've been living on one income which we will make up for because he is now bringing home a nice paycheck.

Best of luck to you all!

Law-Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 11:31:04 AM »
I am currently working as and 401K Auditor, but I "left" my original job as a payroll consultant about a 8 months ago when they found out that I was studying for the LSAT. They were not so happy about me pursuing Law School and we came to an agreement about me leaving. No package, but they didn't kick me out the door either.

It all worked out for the best, because I found this job that pays more and ends in August, just in time for a little vacation and then off to Law School.

If you know that you really want to change careers, and going to Law school is the next step then leaving your current job (career) should make you happy. Your ready to move on to better things.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain