Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Paralegal  (Read 3566 times)

doomkitty

Re: Paralegal
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2006, 05:27:25 PM »
why not?

Were you working in a large or small firm, solo practitioner or government office?
What were you doing that differed from the paralegals?

I know places where the legal secretaries spend all day bates stamping and photocopying.
I worked in a large firm, and I did research, meeting with clients, preparing cases, and a few times my attorneys even asked me for advice.  There was still the secretarial mumbo jumbo, but to me it was still a learning experience.
So I wonder why we even had a whole bunch of paralegals.
This is Paralegal work you were doing, that is why it wasn't boring. :) Read the ABA'S definition. I would link it but I have to go right now.

drklahn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2006, 05:47:48 PM »
as a paralegal in the M&A practice of a huge firm here in NYC, I can tell you I've gotten a lot of good experience here. client contact, proofreading agreements, coordinating due diligence efforts, assisting with transaction closings, drafting basic corporate documents... etc. you just do a lot of different things and become sort of an "expert" that 1st year and 2nd year attorneys depend on. so in that way, experience as a paralegal might give set your legal career off better because more senior associates will trust you to do things that normal 1st years couldnt.

ny4

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2006, 07:20:28 PM »
Secretary... Paralegal... consultant... financial analyst... You'll find that about 80% of anything you do straight out of college you could have done straight out of high school.  Some of the crap I did as an accountant for a large company was mind numbingly simple to the point of being insulting.

definitely agree.  by the way no paralegals I know make 28K, more like start at 44K +OT, works out to near 60 if you take all the OT

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hokiegrappler11
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace profile -- I'm such a consumer whore.
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »
Most of the paralegal jobs that are advertised online in the DC area are paying around 30,000 dollars annum. 
"Stand for something or fall for anything." -- Malcolm X

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

krumanadi

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2006, 07:32:05 PM »
birdman, defense.  We represent the big corporations.  People kind of look down on that but you should see how many times we find people who file false complaints.  Even some attorneys file cases where they know the claim is well past the limitations set.

Ahh, my firm does the same.. Definitly the "bad" guys, but if you look at it the other way, Weitz & Luxenberg are the ones making all the $$$... ;)

krumanadi

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2006, 07:33:36 PM »
I make mid 30's on LI.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2006, 07:38:43 PM »
Oh if we are talking money, as a paralegal in a boston suburb I would have made about 31,000 this year if I stayed the whole year (which I won't, obviously). Yeah, it could be better, but eh.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Fierfly

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ILadyIce
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2006, 09:27:34 PM »
Ok, first of all - many "legal secretaries" DO paralegal work, and are essentially paralegals (but without the title). I believe that in order to be called a "paralegal" in California, you MUST have a paralegal certificate. I worked as a legal secretary doing paralegal work (drafted pleadings, discovery, letters, assembled trial binders, handled depo transcripts, research, etc) throughout UG (part-time soph yr, then 30+ hrs jr and sr) and I am currently a legal secretary at a large firm in LA - we have only a handful of "paralegals," and they are making 100K+. I currently make 50K, and will probably make 60-70K upon graduation from law school.

So yes, legal secretaries, at least in California, can make quite a nice salary, and do quite a bit more than "stamping and photocopying."

pja2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2006, 09:44:45 PM »
Big NYC firms pay 35,000 as a base. You can easily double your salary. I know paralegals that broke 100K with alot of overtime. Most I know make in the 50s/60/70s

midgetpiggyback

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2006, 09:53:33 PM »
I work as a paralegal for a sole practitioner and I love it. He told me that I'm doing what he doesn't have the time or interest to do himself (drafting interrogatories and motions for summary judgment, meeting with clients, participating in depositions, setting up corporations, etc.). The atmosphere is laid back and I have my own floor with a private bathroom in an office condo. I would recomend working for a sole practitioner to anyone; although I'm sure it depends on the attorney you work for.