Law School Discussion

$10.00 paypal'd for the correct answer


  • ****
  • 1357
    • View Profile
    • Email
$10.00 paypal'd for the correct answer
« on: August 10, 2004, 01:25:19 AM »
Okay, got a dui in 1999, yes I'm a horrible person I know, now get past that.  In CA, if you successfully complete your 3 year probationary period, you are allowed to what is termed "have your verdict set aside."  Now I've researched this, and from what I have found is ccomplete inaccuracies everywhere.  Some research suggests that the verdict being set aside means the the convistion is canceled, and no one will ever know about it, even The National Enquirer.
I have also read that it only means that employer backgrounds won't find the conviction if they did a background check.  Then, everything else in between has been suggested.  So any of you crack researchers out there can earn a quick 10 bucks if you direct me to the links I need
to 1)show me Law schools will not see it if "set aside" 2)LS's WILL see it even if it is "set aside."

Please provide links.  The best people to answer this question are pre-law students working in a law firm, and can simply ask someone, get a link explaining it to me, and your done.  If you do a good job, I have plenty of other odd jobs for you ;)  Oh, I did successfully complete the 3 year probationary period, not even a parking ticket.  And I stop at all stop more CA stops.  I did exceed the posted speed limit once, but that was to avoid an accident and that's perfectly legal; I never got a ticket anyways. 

email me first stating you "accept the offer" to make this a valid contract.  I can't pay everybody who researches this.


Re: $10.00 paypal'd for the correct answer
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 06:31:55 AM »
No, I don't accept the contract, so don't worry about paying me, and don't sue me if I tell you the wrong answer.

So, I researched this a little in Michigan, as it pertained to a first offense of domestic violence.

One could plead guilty with the option to have it set aside if they complete the probation without incidence. At the end of the term, the item is wiped from their public record. The only people who could see it would be the courts (you can only get the verdict set aside once) and I think the State Police. I remember saying Hell No, the person shouldn't have that option, so don't offer it to him. I want him to have that conviction on his record permanently. So it would have been a non-conviction on his record if the deal had been offered and taken, but the courts would keep it in their records so he couldn't get the same deal ever again.

As far as law school, I recall reading in a law school application that they want to know about any convictions, even those set aside.

I figure if they say that, then they could find it. Just like the courts and the state police could find it. But not the general public.

So my answer is yes, the law school will find it, so you have to disclose it.

Disclaimer: This was Michigan, domestic violence, and had nothing to do with law school, and I'm reciting from memory. You have no right to sue if I have misinformed you, as I am not a lawyer, nor even a law student who has been oriented as far as ethics and giving legal advice...I haven't even paid tuition yet or taken one class yet.  :P